The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Gaffed & Funky :: A little discouraged by the Kennedy Mind Power Deck (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
429 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Yes, more than one response with the BBB but two thought-of cards are being discovered so more bang for the buck. I will have to get a 5221 to check it out. I plan to do a massive book on this subject to be called The Bammo Encephalonic Dossier.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
429 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I have ordered the 5221 deck--thank you for the reference.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
429 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I got the deck. The ad is a little misleading since you do not always cut to the card as shown (though you always DO cut to the card). You have to ask two questions before the card can be revealed. It is a nice idea. The video includes a tossed-out deck version which is really good, actually, the best version of the tossed-out deck I've seen. Some of the credits in the video are wrong but that's a quibble.

For those who have it, I've come up with a different way of cutting to the correct card that does not use the method suggested. I'll work on it and report.
Open up your mind
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Open up your mind
I think my favourite TOD would probably be Joshua Grist’s - in essence, it is TOD but with merely thought of cards rather than a physical thought selection. Everybody in the audience thinks of a playing card, you point at 3 people and reveal their merely thought of cards straight up. Very good indeed. In terms of physical TODs, (not including those which use gimmicks; this one uses a special deck but very easy to make up yourself and not really worth calling a gimmick) probably Art Vanderlay’s, can’t remember what it’s called. I cannot recommend Joshua’s TOD enough.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
429 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I compared the method for the John Kennedy "Mind Power Deck" to the method for "52To1." By method, I do not mean how the thought-of cards are revealed, but how the decks are constructed. The construction is basically identical, only the revelations are different. With the Kennedy presentation, you name the thought-of card; with the 52to1 presentation you cut to it. Kennedy uses 8 cards, 52To1 uses 6 cards. For 8 cards you need 3 responses, for 6 cards you need 2.

With 6 cards, and a double out, you need 3 sets of 2 cards. With 8 cards, and a double out, you would need 4 sets of 2 cards. The latter would not work because there would not be enough cards between each set of 2--which is why 52To1 uses 6 cards and 3 sets of 2.

The 52To1 video explanation does refer to the Kennedy deck but seems to imply the 52To1 deck is a step forward, something new--but, obviously it is not, except for the cutting ending, it's actually a step backward, since it uses less cards. The gaffing is basically identical.

I have worked out a fool-proof way of cutting the cards in both the 52To1 deck and the Kennedy Deck that cannot miss. I've also worked out a superior way of knowing what the card is without the need for having the spectator name it.
Open up your mind
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

So would you say you prefer the Kennedy deck? I don’t see why it having 6 cards would be a step backwards?
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
429 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
The 52To1 Deck is perfect for the cut-to ending. The Mind Power Deck is perfect for the ending where you simply reveal the card. You cannot do the cut-to ending with the Mind Power Deck because there are too many cards and not enough room in the deck to distribute the pairs.

Both effects can be improved greatly with more efficient fishing methods. I have devised those methods but for now I will keep them unpublished. I have also devised an 100% surefire way of cutting to the exact card and ensuring the spectator does the same (i.e., no outs). You cannot miss, they cannot miss. My method does not use a BC.

For the 52To1 Deck I have also worked out a way of having two spectators simultaneously think of cards. Again, this will ahve to remain unpublished for the moment.

I will send my notes to Wayne Fox.
Open up your mind
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

But 5221 is identical only you can show all cards different?
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
429 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
I have now worked a method of doing this effect with a regular deck. It has the advantage that the spectator can think of almost any card in the deck. The deck can be shown to be well mixed and no order will be apparent. I'm calling this the Mental Power Control 521 Deck. The deck is completely ungaffed and can be examined before and after the trick. You get the card quickly. For another gaffed deck version, see Houdini Magic's Mind Control Deck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vF55HtZbHQ
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18080 Posts

Profile of Slim King
What’s going on with this? I have the Kennedy deck and I’ve come up with a couple of subtleties and I wonder if I’m reinventing the wheel….7
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....