The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Selling / making available instruction sheets (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Wanted to get thoughts on this. Is it right or wrong? or a right or wrong way of going about it?. I have accumulated literally hundreds and hundreds of original instruction sheets for magic effects. I would say 80% are no longer made. Mostly vintage items. Question is about making them available to those who own the props but not the instructions. Is it wrong do sell copies of them or to create a data base of sorts? I know I have purchased items on the big auction sites that did not have instructions present. I am doing some organizing and didn't realize just how much of these things I had. And I am only talking about making available instruction sheets to old items that are no longer available Nothing new or still being produced today. Things such as Merv Taylor items or Thayer items etc. Your thoughts on a right way to do it that is ethical?. Obviously not going to magic club meeting and just handed the things out but I just feel they could be of use to many people especially those building collections of older items.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Wow, That's a tough one, for sure.
Half to be careful about infringement rights on all things involved, as I'm sure there is still some sort of problem there. Making them availible for view in a collection rather then sending out or selling actual copies, is probubly the best bet.
Just my two cents.
Keith
SHAZAM!
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
That is kinda what I was leaning towards as well Keith . Thanks
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
FYI, between 1978 and 1981 Glenn Gravett complied the instructions for the majority of Thayer's tricks into a 4 volume set published by Magic Limited of Oakland.
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Yeas I have the 4 volume set. I do not have a lot of Thayer specifically . I was just using it as an example. I have a large mix of things. Redmon, P&L, Very early Abbott's Merv Taylor and lots others. A big mix of things.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
In most cases, these sets of instructions would still be covered by copyright legislation.

Mike
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Selling the original seems legit to me. Copying and selling the copies might get a bit murky both legally and ethically.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
We have the Abbott instructions online for $4, but only Abbotts. Before we did this Abbott's used to supply instructions for $5 via snail mail. I see this as a product just like anything else.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
Terapin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Terapin
Remember that (in the US at least) copyright only applies to the fixed form of the thing - i.e. a photograph, written instructions, a video etc. The trick itself cannot be copyright - it is simply an idea. If you write your own instructions then you will be fine legally.
Re-selling the original is absolutely legal. Making further copies of written instructions that are still under copyright is not. Producing your own description of the trick that does not copy the instructions in any way is also legal.