The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: REVIEW: Ninja Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I know this has been out for some time already but I just got it and liked it so much I thought I'd post a review.

The Ninja Rings by Shoot Ogawa (Bob Kohler Productions)

The routine:

I'm familiar with the concept behind the linking rings but have never had the opportunity to learn a routine. The routine is really fast paced and seemed a little confusing at first (I was a litle sleepy) but I was struck at how magical looking and beautiful it was.

There are clips of Masahiro Yanagida (the originator of the Ninja Rings) , Keiko (another student of Yangida) and Shoot performing the routine.

There were no 'tells' as the handling was very smooth. It really did look as if the rings were melting through one another. The highlight? The silent link and also, letting the spectator link the rings.

Explanations:

The routine is explained in great detail and all the moves are boken down. Shoot has a decent command of English and manages to get his point accross despite his accent.

Some people have questioned whether it is possible to perform the routine as smoothlu as Shoot. From what I have seens and some initial stabs at trying the moves myself, I would say that with the quality of the instruction, it shouldn't be too difficult to master the moves, with sufficient practice.

There are 2 or 3 moves which will require A LOT of practice but then I suppose that it is very possible to modify the routine slightly so that it would be possible to perform a decent routine in a matter of weeks or months as opposed to years. The clip of Keiko performing the rings (although, admittedly not a full routine) provides ideas for an alternative routine which would be easier to get up to performing level.

The rings:

You can get a set of Ninja Rings to perform this routine but it works with pretty much anyset of 4.5 inch (or therabouts) set of 4 rings. I am currently using a set of dirt cheap ings which I bought at a stall selling magic tricks to children (svengali decks, plastic cups and balls etc) I must admit the quality of my rings aren't very good , the seams are quite visible but they are good enough for practice purposes.

The production values of the DVD are excellent except for some premature fades and tacked on applause.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
I have Jay Sankey's 3 ring circus, how is it compared to Ninja rings?

I know that they are actually quite different, but as seen from laymen, which one will be a better investment?

thanks.

Hirase
In love with magic!
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
I'm afraid I can't make a comparison because I don't have 3 ring circus... One thing I will say is that Ninja rings is more visible so will play for bigger audiences.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I am lucky enough because Shoot Ogawa held a private lecture in Hong Kong last week. I am one of the two audience being sat in the first row to see his close up miracles.

Without any objection, his Ninja Ring routine is so magic even though we all know how it works. Besides his matrix routins are also amazing as well. Just imagine 1/2 of lecture material cover only matrix will see how much knowledge Shoot Ogawa poccesses!

Not to mentioned that I can buy those Ninja rings Shoot will use for performance and his very limited edition of lecture videos.

The most important thing is, that night is my birthday.

You can PM me if you would like to know more details.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
I saw Shoot lecture last year and was aproximately 6 inches away from him when he was doing his rings and let me tell you, it was incredible!! Knowing exactly how he does each move, he still absolutely amazed me. I purchased the whole shebang knowing that I probably would not have the time to dedicate to making th eeffect as smootha as Shoots, but keeping it in front of me just reminds me what a beautiful and flawless routine I saw.

Park

visit me at http://www.whodinimagic.com
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
Dallen
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
58 Posts

Profile of Dallen
Totally...most of us knows how it works, yet when we see Shoot performing it so smoothly, it really looks like magic. I totally agree on great his matrix routines are. His one handed, double matrix routine left me in awe for days!