The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Oldies... but goodies! :: Rings N Things Cups set (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Today I'm going to a guys house to look through some stuff that he is getting rid of (he's leaving the magic scene) and I am most interested in what he said is a set of Rings N Things cups. I have never seen a set of them, but have heard that they are no longer in production, so I thought that they would make a nice set to just display. My question: how do I know that they are the actual cups? Any discerning characteristics? He said that he picked them up in the late 70's/early 80's. I can post later tonight the dimensions and what they look like, but if anyone can give me a heads up as to what to look for I'd appreciate it...also, about what to expect to pay. Thanks in advance. Jim

Smile
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
R&T did not mark their material. It should have come in a red cordory type of bag (no ribs in the cloth).

At the time they were the only quality cups that were produced besides Morrissey's. They should be highly polished. Morrissey did not highly polish his. I know I will be hit on this general statement.

I own a set of R&T Steel cups. They are nice. They also only came with small half inch sponge balls, if you wanted the knitted balls, you had to purchase separate. The only instruction was a copy of L. Irelands couple of sheets. The were rubber stamped with the R&T name.

Sorry, but they did not mark their material.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Rings N Things standard cups came in aluminum, copper or stainless steel. The stainless steel are by far the rarest of the bunch.

The measurements of the cup in my stainless set is as follows:
Height—just a smidge over 3 inches.
O.D. at mouth of cup—just a smidge over 2 7/8 inches.
From the mouth of the cup to the beginning of the shoulder bead (bottom of the shoulder bead, if you consider the mouth the top of the cup)—1 3/8 inches
Mine has a red corduroy bag with ribs, but this may have actually come from a different set of cups.
Also, this set has crocheted red balls, but those may have also been "aftermarket."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Did they also offer the cups with a chop cup among the three in the set? If so, I believe that I have a set of these... They are in the tell-tale red corduroy bag, bought in the late 70's or early 80s.

JM Smile

Update... I have since found my set: they are Morrissey's.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I will not swear to it but I do not believe R&T ever made a chop cup set, at that time Morrissey made the chop cup set.

R&T only made the Don Alan Chop Cup design, that I never saw Don Alan ever use. He used the Master Cup in all the appearances I ever saw him perform.

Bill
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Bill,

Can You give a few more details on the
"master Cup" ?
Are they still availible etc?

Many Thanks Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wayne,

It is hard to discribe, it is a shorter version of the original Chop cup produced. It is not smaller just shorter so it could fit in a briefcase mouth down.

Check out:
http://www.morrisseymagic.com
enter chop cup in the search engine and it is the 1st listing to click on to go to there cups. This should give you an idea.

A baseball will fit in the cup snuggly. They are of course Aluminum.

Bill
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
RNT did not make a Combo Cups and Balls Set. But with the steel Monti cups you could use a gimmicked ball and it worked pretty well. I just had to be careful since ball would not stay in the same place all of the time.

Also, Bill is right. RNT made what they referred to as the Don Alan Style Chop Cup but I never saw Mr. Alan use it either. And I was fortunate enough to see him perform this routine many times.

If you have a set of RNT Steel Monti Cups, hold onto them as they are getting about $400 per set at present time on Ebay.

If RNT II happens I do not think that it will lessen the value of the original cups.

Take Care,
Vincent Smile Smile Smile
RNT II
View Profile
New user
Stamps, Arkansas
1 Post

Profile of RNT II
Rings 'N Things did make a Combo Cups & Balls set. We made them in Church Bronze, Copper & Aluminum. They came with red crocheted balls. RNT II is definitely happening, but the cups will have RNT II stamped in the bottom of them so as not to be confused with the now collectible Rings 'N Things products. I hope to see some of you at the S.A.M. National convention in St. Louis.

Magically Yours,
Mike Brazill
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a post from the man who knows!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill and Bill,

I have two sets of combos and two sets of regular cups and balls. There is a copper and silver set of each. All of the bags are different some way. Some don't have ribs and some do.

"RING 'N THINGS" is stamped with a red inked rubber stamp at the ends of the instructions. All of the other information (address) is carefully marked out with a black magic marker.

I'm glad you made me look. I found a ton of crocheted six-ball sets in the Rubber Maid container everything else was in. I think I got those in Canada years later. At that time my client's surprise load was baby chicks! Aren't we glad life moves on?

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mike: Nice to hear from you... Did Starr (forget his first name) spin cups for you? I have a set attributed to him in brass that ARE combo cups.

I still have that prototype set of 2 for the Ramsay routine you made for me years and years ago.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3883 Posts

Profile of Julie
TIM ?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Yep... it was Tim Starr.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I have sets of Cups from Brett Sherwood to Paul Fox, Owens, old RNT, Riser(great cup), Porper, Johnson, and others. The new RNT II cups are superb.
The Black Beauty cups are really nice. Think carbon fiber not "plastic". The Foxy 2 Brass are a great set. They are beautifully balanced and a joy to work with. All of the Mike Brazill items are a "Best Buy" and I would snatch them up.
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Mr. Palmer,
I know you collect Cups and Balls, but I suspect that that is just one of your collections... any other treasure troves?