The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Shift: Picks of the Week by Chris Ramsay :: UNWRAPPED # 023 / The Last Prediction & Smudged (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
UNWRAPPED 023 -- Weekly Product Review with Kyle Marlett

We're taking new magic to the street to see if it has what it takes to get the reactions you're looking for.

Watch for details on winning both of these products!

In this episode:

The Last Prediction (DVD and Gimmick) by Kneill X and Big Blind Media
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=53106

Smudged (DVD and Gimmick) by John Horn And Alakazam Magic
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=53032

-Kyle
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2012 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Thanks Kyle for these reviews, very funny and helpfull !
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
The Last Prediction demo is almost a give away of the method... :/
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
drphil
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of drphil
The Last Prediction's method is so obvious that I would be afraid it might not fly by unnoticed. Perhaps I'm thinking to much like a magician that has used the same method only with a deck of cards for a.c.a.a.n. effects. For me after watching the demo I would feel foolish buying this as I already know it. Sorry but IMHO this is not new. I wonder how the gimmick comes in to play since Kyle didn't even use it or describe it's use. For me I will pass on this one.
chriswiehl
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of chriswiehl
Kyle mentions that he uses the impromtu version, but I am very interested in seeing a performance with the gimmick as well.
Your Favorite Magician
www.chriswheel.com
@wheelmagic
@yourfavoritemagician
Search for my products under "Christopher Wiehl"
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4325 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I liked the impromptu version as performed by Kyle. In the demo it got great reactions.. I am glad I ordered it. People complain if a demo cuts away at a certain point in a routine and people complain when the demo shows everything. There is no pleasing everyone.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
The Don
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of The Don
Every trick won't please every performer of course. I watch Unwrapped for the "warts and all" performances. They're refreshing compared to the highly-edited demos.

It used to be that we read an ad in a magazine and then visited the magic shop to see what the trick REALLY looked like. This is probably the closest anyone is coming to that online. Nice work again Kyle.
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
Hey guys!

I think the impromptu version is just as good as the gimmick one. The gimmick one is crazy easy to use and the box is clean at the end. If you watch the demo for the Last Prediction ( http://youtu.be/eOagfxZxZJA ) you can see a full performance of the gimmicked version of the trick. You can see the differences of the two. I think for lay people the none gimmick works fine, if I was performing for magicians I would use the gimmick version.

-Kyle
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Hey Kyle thanks for the kind words and great performance of the last prediction!
Michael, you're right there mate, there's a huge backlash about edited demo videos these days, so it was something we really wanted to avoid. I guess it's a chance you take by being honest?!?! Smile
The gimmicked version was the main point of releasing the DVD, and the impromptu version was added in the bonus section so there was an option for any regular deck performers. The BBM demo is on the website, but for anyone who would like to see a 'warts and all' performance of the gaff version, I'm only too happy to provide this link to the original demo video, shot on an iphone by my long suffering wife at about 2am!
Hope you find it of some interest.
Kneill X
(By the way Kyle, you were bang on the first time. It's pronounced 'Neil'. Smile ).
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think the impromptu version can be very powerful for a lay audience. It's all in how it is presented. For a magician watching, the method might seem obvious. However, the way Kyle presented it, I doubt any lay person would ever see the method. Not to mention, there is such a strong moment of misdirection when the card is revealed to clean up.

As for the sharpie, I think the smudge sharpie is 100 times stronger than the letters changing. The reason is with the letters changing, it is just a bit too much "in your face" impossible. The possible methods are too impossible ("Perhaps you have a hidden laser printer embedded in your finger?") With a smudge transformation, that is more "possible" impossible, if that makes sense. Sometimes magic that is just a bit more subtle is stronger than obviously impossible magic. Also, having the two pens is great because this is one of those effects that if you are able to "do it again" with a different card, it gets much stronger. I could see this one being a good one to figure out some sort of method using pulls up the sleeve or inside the jacket.

KJ
JohnnyH
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of JohnnyH
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2014, 1KJ wrote:
I think the impromptu version can be very powerful for a lay audience. It's all in how it is presented. For a magician watching, the method might seem obvious. However, the way Kyle presented it, I doubt any lay person would ever see the method. Not to mention, there is such a strong moment of misdirection when the card is revealed to clean up.

As for the sharpie, I think the smudge sharpie is 100 times stronger than the letters changing. The reason is with the letters changing, it is just a bit too much "in your face" impossible. The possible methods are too impossible ("Perhaps you have a hidden laser printer embedded in your finger?") With a smudge transformation, that is more "possible" impossible, if that makes sense. Sometimes magic that is just a bit more subtle is stronger than obviously impossible magic. Also, having the two pens is great because this is one of those effects that if you are able to "do it again" with a different card, it gets much stronger. I could see this one being a good one to figure out some sort of method using pulls up the sleeve or inside the jacket.

KJ

Glad you like Smudged and you totally grasp the concept behind it too !

John Horn