The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Royal Magic DVD Problems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
I bought the Royal Magic DVD on Scoth and Soda and it will not play on my computer or my DVD player. This is the second time I have had this problem with one of their DVD's. It happens to work on my wife's computer and that's it. Has anyone else had this problem with their DVD's?
"Treat others the way you want to be treated."
trickiewillie
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia
128 Posts

Profile of trickiewillie
Don't have any Royal DVDs, but I can tell you I had the EXACT same situation two weeks ago with a major motion picture I rented from Blockbuster -- would not play on my computer or the regular DVD player but worked fine on my wife's computer. Go figure.

Message boards that deal with DVDs are full of this kind of thing, so at least you're not alone. I'm guessing it has something to do with minor imperfections in the DVD disk manufacturing process coupled with quirks in the hardware or software of various players. Just like there are some computer programs that won't run or cause problems on some computers but work fine on others.

Just be nice to your wife so she'll let you use her computer!!

Smile Smile
JamesCoats
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of JamesCoats
The Royal Magic DVD line was created to be multi-regional and should play on most DVD players and computers. If your computer or DVD player goes back before the DVD format change which happened about 1-1/2 years ago then the machine can not read the DVD.

At the begining of 2003 most retailers cleaned out old stock of DVD players and computers and then replaced it with new up dated models with universal coding. So even if you bought a DVD player mid last year you could have gotten one that has an old non regional coding systems.

You should be able to get a new DVD player for $35.00 at Walmart/Target which will have the new universal coding system. The Royal Magic DVD line is a high quality inexpensive way to learn great magic and we thank you for your support. If you have more questions please send email to info@funinc.com.

FUN Always,

James Coats
Customer Service Manager
FUN INC/Royal Magic
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
Thank you for your replies and I know that Royal Magic provides great material that is why I have purchased several of their products. But this particular DVD has not worked on my one year old Compaq computer and my Sony Playstation. I took it back thinking it was a scratch and it happened again. So yes Mr. Coats you're probably right that I just got a bad batch with old non- regional encoding. But it is a shame that I can't fully enjoy the DVD the way I want. Maybe I'll have to buy it again from another store.
Tony Venetico
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
238 Posts

Profile of Tony Venetico
I just bought the Cardiologist Deck and the DVD that comes with it plays fine through the first 5 chapters and then starting with chapter 6 looks scrambled and doesn't play the rest of the dvd. I don't know if I should go to Hocus Pocus or just email Fun Inc. since they are right in Chicago with me and maybe I can just switch DVDs
MagicMan5150
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMan5150
Wow! I just got the Royal Magic Scotch and Soda DVD and my DVD player won't load it either. Unfortunately I don't have another player. Smile
desprado2
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, California
119 Posts

Profile of desprado2
Sorry to hear that but at least I know it is just not mine. It's funny because it plays on my wife's Dell computer but not on mine?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've had this problem with a couple of DVD's. I thought it was the DVD and then I found out that the controller I was using had another option to use in order to play DVD's. I found it by accident.

Everythime I pressed play, "pause" would come up on the screen. I played around and found another button that would paly it.

Play around with your contoller and see what happens.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I have had this problem with several DVD's from various companies. Thought about buying a new player, but the kids playstation has taken up the slack till the recordable pricetags come down.