The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Duke's Dye Version Roll Paper (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I guess I am just a creature of habit.

I wonder if you could simply adhere a paper inside the window shade that could be removed and given to the child.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, hugmagic wrote:
I guess I am just a creature of habit.

I wonder if you could simply adhere a paper inside the window shade that could be removed and given to the child.

Richard

I have no idea, as the material a roller blind is made up, may or may not take tape or certain types of adhesives. It will take some experimentation, or a better way then glue or tape.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Gentlemen,

I am really enjoying all of the positive dialog and info being discussed here. This is what the Magic Café is all about. A big thank you to you all.

Thank you,
David Williams
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Yer welcome~" This is what I envisioned when I "joined this show". ["Magicians helping magicians"]

Too often, the "problem" concerns TTs and their "color"! --or similar things.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jeanboucher
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of jeanboucher
I don't know anything about quality of silks (momme, hems, etc.). (I've been a comedy magician for 25 years & I've never used quality silks before...)
If you could fit the Abbott's Streamer (the one they are manufacturing & selling NOW) into a paper roll of 12 inches with the Abbott's gimmick inside & the five silks provided for the beginning of the routine.
Film yourself with your phone, I want to see that!
Magicien pour fête d'enfants

In my more than 25 years of doing magic, I have re-discovered that the most magical audiences are children. They make the best audiences because they don't hide their surprise, or joy, or happiness: all of which, my Magic show will bring to life.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Attached is an old photo taken from a video of a show many years ago. It is the only video ever taken by a relative. The tube is loaded with a 25 foot streamer.

Click here to view attached image.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1625 Posts

Profile of JNeal
What a handsome young man! If I hadn't have known otherwise... I would have thought it was Keith Clark!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Duke sterns version will be my next project in the New year,
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Silly question... Has anyone considered using one of the many types of photo printer paper to make the paper tube? I am a hobbyist photographer and I have an inkjet printer that can print on paper up to 17" wide. There are multiple types of photo printer paper... matte, glossy, luster, etc. Photo printer paper is also heavier weight than standard printer paper.

Admittedly, photo printer paper can get kind of expensive. But the big advantage of photo printer paper is you can print any sort of message you'd like. It could be just text or it could include graphics or even a photo of the smiling birthday boy/girl (prearranged with the parents in advance).

I haven't tried the paper yet, I'm just getting started on considering this effect. When I try it, I'll report back.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1545 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2014, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I can get it all in with only a inch or so left with the nonfunctional Abbott's gimmick. I am having good success with the Rice medium size gimmick instead of Abbott's nonfunctional gimmick. Abbott's gimmick is only about 1-1/2", and Rice's is 1-3/4". Whichever you use, just roll it around the gimmick loosely. I also use a rounded ends bamboo chopstick and use it for loading very tight.

Jimmy, the message is an important part of the trick when unrolling the sheet. This also provides additional cover for some large productions if used as a finale to the act.

It just so happens I already have a Rice medium size dye tube. I grabbed four 18" silks (Gosh brand, not sure of the weight) and I was able to shove all four of them in the medium Rice tube. But it was a fairly tight fit. So, 15" silks should be just right.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2022, Magic Mark wrote:
Silly question... Has anyone considered using one of the many types of photo printer paper to make the paper tube? I am a hobbyist photographer and I have an inkjet printer that can print on paper up to 17" wide. There are multiple types of photo printer paper... matte, glossy, luster, etc. Photo printer paper is also heavier weight than standard printer paper.

Admittedly, photo printer paper can get kind of expensive. But the big advantage of photo printer paper is you can print any sort of message you'd like. It could be just text or it could include graphics or even a photo of the smiling birthday boy/girl (prearranged with the parents in advance).

I haven't tried the paper yet, I'm just getting started on considering this effect. When I try it, I'll report back.

Mark

Haven't tried photo printer paper.

What I have used for 35 years is 35# to 40# unwaxed white butcher paper. One side is matte and the other is shiny. I use the matte side for the message. I then fold it in half and roll it up so shiny side is both on the inside and outside of tube. Because of the shiny side, it is smooth working for the gimmick. You can get large rolls of it from restaurant distributors or can order online from places like amazon. It comes in two general widths, 13 inch and 18 inch. I always get the 18 inch because I use the same paper for color changing plumes. Maybe some would consider 40# butcher paper too lightweight, but I have not had an issue with it. It seems to be very similar to the rolls that Bill posted at the start of this thread. Those were also 13 and 18 inch and 35#.

This is the last roll I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/White-Butcher-App......7TKGKB63. I also get clear vinyl rolls from the same manufacturer for other effects.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7672 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I always used 20# paper for the plumes as I worked at newspaper with a print shop. At that time you could buy boxes of the 18 x 36 paper. Chopping it in half gave you a lot of paper. I tear up the tube every show so I do go through it.
Goshman's and Laflin's silks are usually 5 mmm.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.