The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Magician in Pain!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
So, to round off a nasty sinus infection I had the Doc put me on a round of antibiotics (nothing abnormal there). Then after the first day I started to notice a rash on my arm ok well first thing that came to mind was an allergic reaction.
Turns out after seeing the Doc again I have got me a bout of Shingles...Well how about that (I didn't even know I could get that at the ripe old age of 27). So, I'm in a ton of pain and am seeking help from anyone who has had a bout of this before who can help with any at home remedies that can help with the pain. Currently on 10mg Prednisone and 200mg Acyclovir neither of which are helping much. hell I'm typing this message with my right hand as my whole left side is CRANKING on fire. Any help is appreciated if you can.

-Bobby
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Bobby, I feel your pain. I had shingles when I was forty-five and it was one of,if not the most painful experiences of my life. My doc prescribed some ointments (mine was on my right side from my back to my front breast) which helped some, but only temporarily. It hurt to even put on a T shirt. It'll last a couple of weeks and then subside, but the rash will be around a bit longer. I think it was 8 weeks or so before it was gone completely. I wish I had better news for you. Try to find some doctor recommended ointments would be my suggetion. And plenty of Jack Daniels. Hang in there.

When it's done get yourself a shingles shot. You must have had or been exposed to chickenpox as a kid because the shingles virus is left over from that. And you can get shingles more than once, so get that shot. Once again, hang in there.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Sound advice from Bob. I had shingles last year, at age 62. Really painful, and incredibly itchy. Sadly, there's nothing you can do but wait for it to subside and eventually go away.

As Bob said, when it's all over, go get a shot. You definitely don't want a repeat performance!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I feel for you, Bobby. I had this a few years ago while in my early 50s. Those TV commercials do not do it justice. It effing hurts!! Way beyond the worst sunburn I've ever had. I think about all I could do from the home-front was occasionally apply cool compresses. Temporary relief at best. Be careful not to scratch the blisters at the risk of infecting things.

Although it's somewhat different for everyone who comes down with it, my experience was that the pain remained long after the blisters went away. My skin in that same area was tender to the touch for months afterward. No, that's an understatement... it hurt.

It will get better though. In the meantime, you may not be doing much.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bobby, I hope you feel better soon.

Mary Mowder
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
And Bobby, if it makes you feel any better, be happy you didn't have an outbreak on your head. People have gone blind from shingles outbreaks in the forehead region. It can go to the eyes and be real nasty. Be well.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
You might try some medicinal Marijuana.

I did not know that the shot would be effective AFTER a bout with shingles. How about taking the shot during an outbreak?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
From my understanding. the shot is not a cure or remedy for an ongoing bout, but a vaccine against future outbreaks.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
The vaccine wouldn't help during the bout. In fact the vaccine doesn't even guarantee against a future outbreak; it merely lowers the possibility.