The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: When boys were allowed to be boys....... (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Call me cynical, but what I saw in the clip had nothing to do with being boys or girls or kids or whatever. It had my earliest hero--Roy Rogers (and I am not kidding: he was the first hero I can remember ever having)--pushing a stupid product that would last about less than a day of enjoyment. What was $5.98 back then? For a day's pleasure?

My old hero, Roy Rogers.

Pushing doo-doo for some extra cash.

Sad.

It only lasted a day? I didn't know they were making toys in China back then! Did you actually buy one and have it bust after a day? Just curious.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I used to stay busy for hours at a time playing with a bag of plastic army men.
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
316 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Let's see...My brother and I made bombs out of black powder...or if we wanted really big bangs, we'd head to the pharmacy for some sulpher, then to the foundry for some zinc dust. We had BB gun fights with the neighborhood kids (no eyes lost, lucky for us) and I was an expert on the trapese and monkeybars by the age of 11. We climbed trees and slid down ropes (burning the skin off my palms in the process), played with matches and razor blades and knives and vanished on our bikes for 8 hours at a time.

Love stories like this. We had a swimming hole with a secret underwater cave. When people came to the swimming hole that didn't know about the cave we would dive in the water and never come up.

We had a rope swing that took us out over an old logging road. We would swing out over loaded log trucks as they came down the road.

Not sure how we survived childhood.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Yep. And we played cowboys in the pasture with real cows. That's where I learned that waving a red cloth does not infuriate a bull. It infuriates the cows. What makes the bull angry enough to chase you for doing that is he's angry that you think he's a cow. Smile

And I must say... Bazinga!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Let's not forget that when the bull IS angry enough to charge the guy with the cape, he's just been harassed by people on horseback stabbing darts into his side. Do that enough and anybody might get a little peeved.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
BB gun wars
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
We had open range in Salmon. Bulls were kind of like trees, they just stood there. Then when we lived in Bellevue Idaho I worked on a longhorn ranch and learned you can just jump up and down waving your arms to get the bulls' attention.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
We used to make our own firecrackers from stuff you could purchase at the local pharmacy in the fifties. Rolled thin cardboard, say from a gift box, stuffed with the right stuff, bottom crimped, brown paper bags cut into strips, black powder rolled in them for fuses, crimped in at the tops, and voila. A nice big bang. I'm still here with all my fingers, toes, eyes, ears and everyghing else I was born with. Them were some fun days.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
We filled harmonica cases with powder and duct taped them shut with fuses sticking out. Made some yard craters with those Smile
I'll also never forget firing bottle rockets into the girls' cabins on the bible campground we lived on. Man, we were some awful little turds.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Incidentally, pyrotechnics classes are cheap at the fire station here.
~Will Rogers
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, stoneunhinged wrote:
Call me cynical, but what I saw in the clip had nothing to do with being boys or girls or kids or whatever. It had my earliest hero--Roy Rogers (and I am not kidding: he was the first hero I can remember ever having)--pushing a stupid product that would last about less than a day of enjoyment. What was $5.98 back then? For a day's pleasure?

My old hero, Roy Rogers.

Pushing doo-doo for some extra cash.

Sad.

I liked Roy Rogers, but I never considered him a hero. He was an kid's show actor and part of being a kid's show actor was husking products on the air.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
OjackMagic
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of OjackMagic
Ohhh yes, the 90's. Multiple entries talk about how things changed in the 90's...somehow. That "somehow" can be traced to a couple of origins. The first and most important being 24 hour news cycles. What do you do when you need to fill cable news channels with material? What do you do when you need to keep people coming back to you channel? You create narratives: narratives of crisis, narratives of hidden risks, narratives that state that our future is at risk if we miss this report. Between war reporting, and presidential fellation stories, you had to fill remaining time. Thus the sensational narrative begins to prevail.

It's in the 90's that small events become new and alarming trends. After Desert Storm Ended, The Berlin Wall Came Down, and the USSR broke up (all between 1990 - 1993), not to mention long-term prosperity, CNN had a problem: Too much good news. Nobody was going to tune in for a report of no problems. Instead, new narratives are created. Of course, you can't have one 24 Hour news network be successful without others wanting some a hit from that bong. Thus Fox News and MSNBC enter in. This meant a need to bring people in to your programming. This has been done by creating stories that could save your life, or if you miss it, end it.

At the same time, the Suburban life is nearing it's third generation. This is to say it's expanding rapidly the first generation begins its attrition, the second generation is larger and more spoiled, and the third generation is just hitting the pubescent era. Gentrification is now a culture. The housewife is now a working mom, the dad remains ever absent. We turn to news to not only tell us what is happening on the national and world stage, but to know what is happening next door do us.

This combination creates a cultural shift. By the mid to late 90's, we're eating a diet heavy in corn syrup and bleached flour while digesting information heavy in crisis, warning, and risks. Day Care Crisis, Black Mold, Flammable PJs, Playground Deathtraps are examples of things that were top stories made from non-stories. These are the minor ones. Stranger Danger and Satanic Panic both hit their apex during this time and have had long-term negative impacts on our world. We live in a world of manufactured food and fear, both of which have reduced our mental physical health and have heavily influenced our governance is bad ways.

The 90's became the decade we started to grind down every sharp corner to a smooth rounded edge so nobody got hurt by it. It starts the era we now live in where good parenting isn't teaching children how to be independent and problem-solving. It's removing all traces of danger, risk, and hardship. What became popular in the 90's is now institutionalized to the point states now have to pass laws that make it okay for children to walk to a park alone, or open a lemonade stand on their street corner. It's a world that has tried to ban free range parenting, or as we used to call it, parenting.
"Homer Simpson does not work in a nuclear power plant. Homer Simpson is just an actor." - Penn Jillette
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
I grew up with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans on TV, along with Gene Autrey, Hoppalong Cassidy and others. I had toys like the ones in the following vintage ad. I'd also bet many of you my age did. Boys were allowed to be boys then. And by the way, girls were allowed to be girls, playing with their dolls.

All in fun and innocent games. Then something changed. Dolls had to be anatomically correct and toy guns were bad. What happened to the innocence? It's sad.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/mNWr9eF2Huk

Girls weren't "allowed" to be girls, girls were "expected" to be girls. This was the time when girls were actively discouraged from anything that WASN'T "playing with dolls," or "house work." For example, this was the time when girls were told that magic tricks were for boys. "Play with your nice doll and kitchen set."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:
We used to make our own firecrackers from stuff you could purchase at the local pharmacy in the fifties. Rolled thin cardboard, say from a gift box, stuffed with the right stuff, bottom crimped, brown paper bags cut into strips, black powder rolled in them for fuses, crimped in at the tops, and voila. A nice big bang. I'm still here with all my fingers, toes, eyes, ears and everyghing else I was born with. Them were some fun days.

I appreciate that YOU managed to get through your fun with all your fingers, toes, eyes, ears, etc. intact. Let's not forget that quite a few kids DIDN'T! Nobody got up one morning and said; "Hey! Kids are having fun making loud noises. Let's pass a law to stop that." They said; "Crap! Kids are blowing their fingers off! We should do something about that!"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2024, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2014, Bob1Dog wrote:

I appreciate that YOU managed to get through your fun with all your fingers, toes, eyes, ears, etc. intact. Let's not forget that quite a few kids DIDN'T! Nobody got up one morning and said; "Hey! Kids are having fun making loud noises. Let's pass a law to stop that." They said; "Crap! Kids are blowing their fingers off! We should do something about that!"

Yup.Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-