The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: They don't Listen to Kids (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
I have often tried street magic but people just won't listen or even pay attention (and I mean I did this at the beach so no one was in a hurry). It just ain't fair. I understand about some people (not liking magic) but there's no need to be rude.
Regards, Tom Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
You have to capture their attention. They are not going to pay attention to you if you just come up and say, "hey you wanna see something cool?"

Make it visual and you will get an audience.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Yeah, that's what I thought after I wrote this. That's why I put a new one up a second ago.
Thanks anyway.
Regards, Tom Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Instead of adding a new post, you can edit your current post by going to the edit icon in the bar above your post.

Just for future reference so no posts are just lingering with no purpose.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations m.s.,

I usually don't respond to these posts but sometimes I try to connect the dots anyway.

You have to be willing to face tons of rejections, probably something on the order of 99 percent, if you're going to hit people cold with the odd trick or two.

One, you've described yourself as a "kid." Two, magic is visual, so there's nothing, or should be nothing to listen to. Three, you're right, most adults won't listen to a kid because a kid usually has to teach an adult, and as you've briefly described your approach, it would sound to me like you're going to sell me something, so I would pass you by. I, however, would not be rude about it as I only respond to rudeness with civility. It's just easier that way.

Now that I've crushed your ego, try this. Get a top hat and vest. On the beach wear a top hat and vest with a swim suit and flip-flops and you will have set yourself apart from the crowd. This will draw attention to you. Now, start doing card flourishes, assuming you're a cardician (substitute the appropriate magic; I'm using cards as an example), and when you catch someone's eye, ask them if they would like to see some real magic. This way people you kill two birds with one stone: you're practicing your magic and people are more inclined to approach you.

If you have several hundred thousand dollars and some studio backing, igonore the above advise and simply have the camera and sound guys follow you around while you perform guerilla magic on an unsuspecting public. Make sure you get plenty of takes and have the girl with the release forms stacked up with plenty of them. Then edit the whole thing down, broadcast it, and you're on your way ... after 10 or 15 years of working clubs, parties and corporate events so you can build a network of friends and associates that will afford you the several hundred thousand dollars and some studio backing.

My point is, David Blaine has the corner on guerilla magic. You're not David Blaine, or at least I'm assuming you're not. You have to attract attention and a crowd. He does it with an entourage; you have to be a bit more creative. Think street theatre and you will be miles ahead of the poor imitators of David Blaine.

Good luck, and have a happy new year.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Hey Joe, thanks for the great advice. As soon as it's summer I'll try that!
Best regards, Tom (m.s.magic)
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I have to get a picture of you dressed like that. Smile
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
I think since the coming of Blaine (sorry if that sounds religious) many people have started trying to just approach people and show them something. Now I personally don't have time for anyone when I'm out as I'm usually trying to A) get to somewhere B) get from somewhere. You said you presented yourself on the beach. Now if I was on the beach and you had approached me I would have just dismissed you in the way that you have mentioned. Real street magic is about setting up having a place where people can come and see you (for example if you were at the same spot on the same beach every Friday from 4 then you would probably have a samll crowd after a couple of weeks). D'ya get my drift? You have to establish yourself over time as you are not in an enclosed space which you can control (i.e. a restaurant). MagiUlysses put it best. I've just added my two pence.
Smile
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2955 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-01-10 20:40, Xia wrote:
many people have started trying to just approach people and show them something.

This is exactly why I think people need to think about street magic in the way you mentioned. When David Blaine made his TV special, it was a reality show disguised as a magic show. It focused on reactions as all reality shows do. But since it had to do with magic, people including magicians don't see that it was a reality show.

Now one could argue that street magic really was this way a few hundred years ago. But in those days, one would show magic to prove himself magical usually to sell a "miracle product" which helped your every need. And for those who were out on the streets just to perform, they set up some place and let people come to them. Just going up to random people means that you are either interrupting someone, annoying someone, or proving to someone that you have talent.

Street magic has its uses. One example is for advertising outside a restaurant, magic shop, etc. This attracts customers and is a good way to practice. You can get paid in the same way a restaurant magician would but rather you are doing this outside the shop or restaurant to attract and sell more of what you are selling. It is fun to go out and do magic for random people, but you need to know how to approach and who you should do it for before you just up and start to perform.