The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Inviting Former Clients To Read Our Threads Without Our Knowledge (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
I would like to know what others think about the practice of sharing links to threads here on the Café to former clients who then post the threads onto their Facebook accounts for all their friends to read without consulting with others who are participating on the threads. Is this common practice around here on the Café? Is this exceptable?

I realize that the Café is open to public viewing, except a few forums, but should we be openly encouraging former clients to view the Café, a forum for magicians they once never knew existed?
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
SolidSnake
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of SolidSnake
I would never advertise or invite clients or former clients to view this website. I have nothing to be ashamed of, it is just that this is for magicians. I would not like a potential client to maybe know that I posted having trouble with an effect or anything else. I also do not see why a client would want to read this forum. I wouldn't want to go and read a doctors forum or musician forum or anything else that I am not actively interested in.
There is no holy grail!
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Neither would I. I consider this place a sanctuary from the prying eyes of our clients. A place I can feel comfortable putting down my guard and talking shop. I realize that the public has access to the forums, but our clients don't tend to search out our forums to pry into our conversations.

it's another thing when a member invites them in by giving them a link to a Café thread, especially without consent from others who are participating in that thread. Ontop of it all, the client posts or links the thread on her facebook page for all her friends to read.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
So folks, imagine you are a magic manufacturer or creator of magic who relies on the Café for customers, support, promotion etc...
then someone comes in and starts degrading the company, spreading half truths or denigrating the company on false grounds...
how would you feel about that?
There are certain people in the Café who post before they think and can create unbelievable damage to those who create magic for the guy POSTING!!
Legitimate criticism is welcomed and needed for manufacturers and creators...but outright defamation and harassment etc.....no excuse.

So take the time to sit in our shoes for a minute before you post.
Chance Wolf
Wolfs Magic..and others
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I re-read my post and feel I failed to convey the LINK to Danny's original post.
What I am trying to say is that the Café is a place of CLIENTS for manufacturer's and creators.
I have tried to make this point in other threads of somehow trying to put the magicians in OUR shoes.

Imagine if EVERY ONE of your clients DID READ the Café posts!
That it was a forum of reviews of all shows in the world.
Would you think twice about what YOU post?
How would you feel if YOUR CLIENTS read posts from OTHERS who gave their "Opinion" of YOUR SHOW?

I think you would all think a heck of a lot different about how you posts when it comes to slamming on certain folks.
Now you may understand why some creators/manufacturers get a bit sensitive when the attacks/opinions are unwarranted.
Some of these situations can effect the way people feed their kids and put roofs over their heads...and..oh yeah...provide you magic to perform with.
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
If someone is reviewing my show, I feel differently about it. Since I am on many directory websites such as gigmasters, some of them allow clients to post reviews. If a client says something derogatory about me or tries to maliciously defame me in a review, there are ways to deal with it without feeding their fire.

The Café is first and foremost a forum for magicians by magicians to discuss things relating to magic. There is also a place for magicians to post reviews on either products coming out, or products that have been released. Yes, it's true that those reviews by some can at times be very hateful, biased, malicious, and intended to defame a company or creator. However, I believe there are ways to deal with those situations that would resolve the issue without the creator or producer putting themselves in a questionable position that makes them no better than the person posting the malicious review with the intent to defame the maker of a product.

Now, this is different when a member calls a creator, maker, dealer, producer out for either making false statements about their product. Especially when those claims are breaking laws. Most people will only complain on forums when they see laws being broken in advertising, (creators, makers, dealers should be most thankful for this) while some report them to either the consumer protection board or FDA, or what other legal authority that is applicable for the offense taking place.

Yes, the Café can be a double edge sword. On one hand it's supposed to be about magicians helping magicians, on the other hand, it can be a tool to defame, blackball, bully, and threaten others.