The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: ITR and IT Crashcourse please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
I am realtively new to ITR stuff. I own a Tarantual and old Spider Pen for a while, though ( I got them cheaply from a second hand deal).
As for my acts/work in clubs I thought, that I should incorporate some levitation effects. So I figured I need some ITR for some of those increadible levitation routines out there. I have never really worked with a ITR nor my Tarantula or SPider Pen. It was so much of a hassle. But I want to change that now. I really want to get into this stuff now.

Can someone give me some overview on the general available stuff?

Is Tarantula considered to be a Invisible Thread Reel? Because all the others I see are those little tubes, or flasks...

What is the difference between a Tarantula - a classic ITR - a Spider Pen?

For me it is also important to know because I don't want to spend too much money, since ITRs are expensive. For example "Invisible by Damien Savina": Since this works with an ITR, which is provided. Will I be able to perform this with a Tarantula too, in case the Tarantula is also an ITR? I am asking this, because I would not want carrying 2 or 3 reels with me, to be able to do different animations.

Another question in general: What was the rule of thumb for Invisible Thread? Where must the light be, in order to NOT make my IT visible? When can it be seen, and when not?

There might be a few mor questions coming up, as we go along here, but I hope it will also help others to have a lot in one thread, which is new, and not some buried threads or 10 different threads.

Regards,
Markus

edit: which ITR brand is considered to be very good when it comes to price+quality? I don't need a $200 one, but it shouldn't be trash either.
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
In order to start with IT as a beginner, there are a few recomendations I would make.

1) don't "start" with a Tarantula or a SPP. These are not "beginner" devices.

2) there are several beginner solutions. Steve Fearsons Master Levitation System, The Amazing Joe-Joe's Web Spinner and dvd. These 3 items are invaluable and I consider "must have's" if you are a serious thread worker. All 3 can be found at http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?main_page=index and only $5.00 international shipping. Other good starts are Michael Ammar - Easy to Master Thread Miracles and Jon LeClair - Who's Afraid of Invisible Thread

3) an inexpensive start is an e-book http://www.lybrary.com/the-invisible-thr......399.html
Highly recomended by a couple of pro thread guys here on the Café. Check out the "Threads Reels and Anchors" (sub-forum of "The Banquet Room" at the very bottom of the site (you must have 50 posts to find it for those who can't) there is much more info on the subject of IT and IET there.

4) a little more advanced - Invisible (that you asked about, no, you cannot use a Tarantula, it is a set up for a regular ITR that lets you be ready at a moments notice) Also, check out "Centrifugal" dvd, again, a little more advanced but neither of these as touchy as a Tarantula.

I would classify a Tarantula as an electronic (like SPP) where an ITR is (self powered with continuous tension) again, you can get more details in the other forum.

Hope this is enough of a start for beginners and those with access know where to get more info.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Which ITR would you recommend in general? Or is the ITR which comes with "Invisible" good enough to be used for any other routine? Or is it mainly for this very specific trick?

And can you give me a few tips on the lightning coniditon?

What do you mean with "neither of these as touchy as a Tarantula"?

And you said: "ITR is (self powered with continuous tension)" - is this not what the Spider Pen does? Or what is the difference between an ITR and a Spider Pen?

Thanks so much so far, I will also check out the sub forum you mentioned! Much appriciated!
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The ITR with invisible is your everyday run of the mill ITR. Will do about anything you need. (Order an extra just in case it breaks though) (they do break from time to time especially when you first learn to handle them).

Lighting is gone over in detail on the Web Spinner DVD.

Tarantulas are fragile. I see a lot of ppl asking how to fix them. I had 2 and they were junk in my opinion)
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1438 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Much appriciated!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Tarantula is simply a Sanada Gimmick with an electric reel. Spider Pen is self-explanatory. Great corresponding with you, Markus! I'm sorry I couldn't help further. For forty years, I've played with IT. I've come back to "simple is best". I have a dozen different ITs, and have come down to three.

Steve Fearson's Vectra and Vectra X2, and blue woolly nylon. My Web Spinner is the best investment so far, besides the IT. That and the DVD. JoeJoe knows his stuff! Lighting is critical. There is no RIGHT/WRONG, as there are too many variables.

Many have said, "If YOU can see the IT, they CAN'T. If you CANNOT see it, they probably CAN!" Partially true. In most cases, I have had the best luck when the specs were sitting on a couch about six feet away, with shaded table lamps on either side, on end tables. 45 degrees to either side.

I try to duplicate those conditions. Worst case, I just turn and cast a shadow over my work. Plus, I now shortened my routine severely, due to exposure lately. 5 or 10 seconds max. It's over before they realize what just happened!

Doug
paulsterx
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of paulsterx
Great advice, I'm just getting into IT via loops, bought the legacy emergency kit so can make as many as I need, useful when practicing as they break all the time! Thanks for the info and the original question, most helpful.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2014, paulsterx wrote:
Great advice, I'm just getting into IT via loops, bought the legacy emergency kit so can make as many as I need, useful when practicing as they break all the time! Thanks for the info and the original question, most helpful.

Paul,

Different animal altogether! With loops you are using IET - which is different than IT. To be honest, if you have found the original post's questions (mostly regarding reels) helpful, then I'm confused as to how that helps with loops. IET can assist with some minor levitations but is commonly used for other effects. IT is almost exclusively used for levitations. Think about it. Smile

Jim
RajeshLGov
View Profile
Regular user
India
149 Posts

Profile of RajeshLGov
A CRASH course is not good for any art. Enjoy the learning, practicing & performing phase. Best Wishes, Raj.
Casey Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Casey Sparrow
I agree with Poof-Daddy Steve Fearsons Master Levitation System is extremely helpful if your just starting out. also from http://www.emagicsupply.com/index.php?main_page=index I would highly recommend the vecrta line its strong, durable and very easy to work with.
You get a fair amount too, including samples of the thinner pro vectra, Steve Fearsons master wax and a link to some on-line tutorials!
Hope this helps!