The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Pick Pocketing Question (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Whew, that is a real poser of a question. Pickpocket acts much like manipulation acts require constant practice. But then any good magic act, regardless of the type of the act (manipulation, comedy magic, illusion, etc.), requires constant rehearsal and practice to keep fresh and smooth. Most pickpocket stunts require great physical misdirection (touching, shoving, moving, verbal barrage, etc). The true secret to pick pocketing is to create sensory overload in the victim. Simply put, the victim is bombarded with visual, auditory, and kinesthetic cues simultaneously. It is impossible to respond to that much going all at the same time.

In general, learning the basics of a pick pocketing stunt probably takes the same amount of time as learning the basics of any magic trick. That said, I learned to “dip” a wallet from a pants pocket, unnoticed, in minutes. I have diligently practiced my “invisible pass” for years and it still isn’t (invisible!)! Oh well…
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
I don't know about you, but I only do pick-pocketing/watch stealing on people who I know fairly well, I couldn't bare the thought of being caught half way through while doing it on a stranger.
genemccarthy
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of genemccarthy
swee
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swee
James coat is the person you should see!!
the_houdini_jester
View Profile
Loyal user
Charlottesville, Virginia
264 Posts

Profile of the_houdini_jester
Quote:
On 2002-06-22 19:21, Stuart Hooper wrote:
... However, if you put things into peoples pockets rather than take them out, you can do some really cool stuff. Use coins, cards whatever. Scothch and soda is good for this. Smile

I was wondering, How would you get a coin into someones pocket? I tryed it on my friend(his name is Danzig here), but he just yelled at me when I tryed to get the coin into his pocket, he said it made him think I was trying to do "Something".

Alex
All the Magic things I don't have are like the foods I've never had. One day I'll have some but I will never have all.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Like any other, it's a skill that requires practice, and some good misdirection.
Instead of "pick pocketing" it's called "put pocketing."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
Greg wilson has a "watch steal" manuscript out. it's around $10 CDN. I suppose you could go tp the local penitentiary and ask for some advice...
Roland
View Profile
New user
Arizona
37 Posts

Profile of Roland
I remember an afternoon in Rome many years ago, when I was living in Paris, watching the gypsy kids pickpocket the tourists walking to the coliseum. Everyday, all day, they would fleece the big red tourists in shorts and tennis shoes, wearing a fanny pack on the front side. Five to fifteen kids would come to the tourist, pulling on them, putting their hand out, and asking questions that were unintelligible. The oldest kid standing directly in front of the victim would hold a newspaper horizontally over the fanny pack and literally zip it open and go through it. There wasn't a direct view due to the newspaper over it. The kid would go through the wallet, take the cash, look into the passport, and go through the entire pack. Finally they'd put everything back into the pack (except the cash) and zip it closed. When finished, the kids ran off and nothing would be noticed until dinner time.

What amazed me most was how easy it was and how unaware the victims were. So, be confident when pickpocketing on stage and be careful when traveling!!!

Roland
http://www.danceofillusion.com