The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The words we use :: An idea that needs a story (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I need a story or patter for this to be bizarre.
I show a paper rose (flash paper) Tell the story... I light it with a large flash and I produce a real rose. This was influenced by Kevin James floating rose minus the floating and I will produce the rose, a smaller one, from a T.T.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
I will have a think and get back to you. By the way did you get that pm about your effect?
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
WR, I like it! Go out and rent the Disney verison of Beauty and the Beast. I think you will be able to adapt your rose rountine into a beauty and the beast story line.

In the story, if the last rose petal falls before the beast finds true love, then he would remain a beast forever (like most men), but then he meets the beauty and his heart is on fire (a nice place to light the rose) and before the last petal falls, the rose is restored, but a paper rose but to a real rose a thing of true beauty.

Pretty basic concept and could be used for table hopping if you wanted. Have the guy play the beast and the woman the beauty. It's worth a look.

:kitty:
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
"We are born in fire. Even the most fragile and beautiful things contain the spark of life. Alchemists, for centuries, have sought the Secret of Life. Victor Frankenstein only found a portion of that secret. Perhaps the simple spark is all it takes to transform once living paper back into something close to its original form. And that spark of life is Love."

POOF!

Rose appears!

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
WR,

I, too, will give this some thought.

Lee,

I love that spark of life idea - maybe, as you suggest, the paper could be turned back into the living wood? E.g. tear a leaf out of a piece of paper - big flash - then it becomes, again, a real leaf growing on a tree.

Off topic, I know, but in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' does the Beast become handsome at the end, in the same way kissed frogs become princes?

As a bizarrist, I kind of like it the other way round: you know, the princess kisses the frog, and poof! SHE turns green and slimy...

:kermit:

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Kinda like Shrek, Caleb? LOL
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
WR, there are a lot of stories that could be made up, but that doesn't mean they would fit into your routine. Are you just going to do this one effect, then turn everything over to someone else (i.e., an MC)? Are you doing Vernon's Twisting the Aces just before it? How does the effect fit in with what you are doing?

If you are doing a series of "Let's see if you can do this" type of effects, as opposed to recreations of "strange events in your haunted home" effects, an appropriate storyline would have to be different.
Alchemists
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Alchemists
Look up Louis Borges' story - The Rose of Paracelsus...
let me know what your think....
The Alchemist
Alchemist@leadintogold.com
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3912 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Can you do a rose origami, it could be a good starting point.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Good to read a post by someone who has read Borges.

Makes me wonder how many others found the short story online and considered a trick with a white rose.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-12-31 20:27, Alchemists wrote:
Look up Louis Borges' story - The Rose of Paracelsus...
let me know what your think....
The Alchemist
Alchemist@leadintogold.com

Thank you! It was perfect!
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."