The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: My new pair of doves has this insect on it (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I just bought 1 pair of doves from a bird breeder today, and saw this lilttle thin long stuff crawing in and out of its furs!! what is it? how do I get red of it!!
I think they are mites or parisites, what sprays should I get to get rid of them?
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
OH DUDE YOU NEED TO GET RID OF THAT!!!!!!!!! I recommend separating the doves and spraying them with mite/lice spray. You can get it from your pet shop. Two common brands are "8 in 1" or "Scalex" They'll be gone within 24 hrs. But do it soon!

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Absolutely agree with Dan on this. There is also a powder used on cats (not dogs) that you can rub through the feathers. Either will work but in both cases, be careful not to get it in their eyes.
While your at the pet store, get some Cage Protectors. These are small round cans of a chemical used to keep mites and lice away. Once you've treated your birds, hand one of these protectors on each cage. You'll have to change them periodically. You'll smell the chemical as soon as you open the can. When the smell is gone, usually about a month or so, replace it.
When you spray or powder the birds, pay particular attention to under the wings at the arm pit. Prime breeding ground for mites.
This may seem a little extreme but it's necessary. While the birds are out of the cage, wash the cage down in bleach and hot water. Otherwise you're putting the clean birds back into the mite/lice environment.
Where the magic begins
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Once your doves are cleaned up I would check out some different sprays for general washing. I recently found one but the name escapes me. It doesn't take out oils and is gentle all around. On a separate note, I saw a company putting out a liquid you add to the water to get rid of chemicals in the tap water. Have any of you seen this? Do you recommend it or is it not necessary?
Zaubern Smile