The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Torn and Restored Newspaper. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
No Tear or Anderson?
Opinions, experiences?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Axel Hecklau's Newsflash 2.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm8jDP5qwFU

Great experiences.

I love the mass intake of breath.

-Mary Mowder
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
481 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I've used Gene Anderson's Torn and Restored for years. Using music, I've gotten nothing but GREAT reactions to it. After having used it for years, I decided to look for something new/different. So, I decided to look into Mark Mason's No Tear II. At some point in Mark Mason's routine he does contribute a portion of Gene Anderson's Torn and Restored to his restoration.

The reason I like Mark Mason's No Tear II is that 1) It allowed me to add a little comical interaction with the audience 2) a kicker front page restoration and 3) it suits my personality.

~allen
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Being you ask for "Opinions", I will give mine. The No Tear or the Lazy Magician's Newspaper Tear, or the it could also be called the, to much trouble to give my audiences the full effect Newspaper Tear. LOL

I believe this was invented as an item to sell to everyone. Most magician's have a problem with what to say during the tearing. They feel it is dead time. When in reality it is really the most attention getting and dramatic part of the trick. It takes some showmanship and acting to "pull" the audience in with the performer to the mystery about to be shown.

Then many magicians don't take the time to actually learn how to tear a newspaper. So they get these wild pointed peaks and crooked tears that they have to deal with, and that throws them off.

There are just to many good Newspaper Tears that have been invented to not use them. Lastly, if the magician wanted to produce something from the newspaper or use it in the next trick, that I not possible with the No Tear.

About the flash restore, I believe Gene Anderson credits Al Koran for the Flash Restore, or it has been mentioned many times that is who 1st invented it. I can't believe an Englishman getting that wrong.

You can search my forum here on my list of known Newspaper Tears.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=8

Maybe instead of a new Torn and Restored Newspaper trick, what we actually need is some great patter lines to be used during the tearing that is ACTUALLY FUNNY.

Everyone is looking at and blaming the trick, and not the actual problem, Great Patter Lines.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1369 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
I'm with Mary...Newsflash 2.0. It has been one of my best investments in 2013!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I am going to second (third?) Mary's vote for Newsflash, though I am still using 1.0 (Too cheap to upgrade). I also agree will Bill that I have never felt the no-tear added anything for the audience. The whole thong just feels like telling a punchline with no build. What's next, naming a spectator's card but skipping the free selection; "Take this card--it's the six of clubs! Tada!"
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Below is a post from Ray Pierce, a former contributor to TMC. This is the best explanation I have seen that justifies the use of a "No-Tear" performance.

Ray Pierce
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1635 Posts Posted: Jul 27, 2011 7:26pm
Years ago I did a "No Tear" newspaper restoration because it fit perfectly with what I was doing. I had a Charlie Chaplin routine set in a city park. It involved me (as Chaplin) walking through a park and stepping on some chewing gum. After I finally got my foot unstuck I got the gum stuck on my fingers and after a lot of byplay, stuck it on the end of my cane and started to walk away. A piece of newspaper stuck to the bottom of the cane which I noticed... took it off and happened to start reading before throwing it away.

I read to the end of the scrap... then had to look around for the next piece. I found it on the ground and continued with the rest of the column..., then it ran out again. I started collecting the rest of the scraps of paper around... realized the time and starting yawning. Spotting a park bench...I looked at the scraps of paper... got an idea, then flash restored the scraps back into a full paper. I folded the paper into a makeshift pillow and stretched out on the park bench for a quick nap. The scene continued with the Keystone Kops coming in and a lot of chasing and transposition illusions but the Paper restoration really sold the first section of the routine perfectly.

I would have loved to have had the Newsflash restoration at the time but the Anderson did fine for what I needed. If I bring the routine back... I'll update it to Newsflash!
Ray Pierce
http://www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Thank you everyone for the posts ! I appreciate everyone's input.
I just purchased the Robert Baxt Better Newspaper Tear.
Will let you know how I like it.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Another vote for Newsflash 2.0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCv-vn9FrFc

I use the easy setup with a tabloid style newspaper...free in my area! The full size version is even more impressive but I like the ease of setup and free newspapers. Smile
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
296 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I think it was Marko (from Learned Pig fame) who had a T&R Newspaper on his site years ago. It is the simplest of set-ups which I've been using ever since. If you need something that is going to take a minute to prepare, this is worth searching for.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have used both Gene's and Mr. Baxts. They are both excellent, but I had issues with the weight of the Baxt set-up. I have just started to use the no-tear method. So far, I've found it to be very enticing. Why? I just put it in a zip lock bag and I'm ready for the next performance. Absolutely no set-up (other than folding the paper back up). The reaction from the audience seems to be the same. I'll try it for a couple of months and see how it goes, but I sure love not assembling duplicate newspapers. Perhaps this is the lazy man's method.

Jim
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2014-01-01 00:34, alexander_may wrote:
I think it was Marko (from Learned Pig fame) who had a T&R Newspaper on his site years ago. It is the simplest of set-ups which I've been using ever since. If you need something that is going to take a minute to prepare, this is worth searching for.

+1. Marko called it "The Simple Things" as I recall. It is in his wonderful book "Showstuff".
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
761 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Quote:
On 2014-01-04 17:55, jimhlou wrote:
I have used both Gene's and Mr. Baxts. They are both excellent, but I had issues with the weight of the Baxt set-up. I have just started to use the no-tear method. So far, I've found it to be very enticing. Why? I just put it in a zip lock bag and I'm ready for the next performance. Absolutely no set-up (other than folding the paper back up). The reaction from the audience seems to be the same. I'll try it for a couple of months and see how it goes, but I sure love not assembling duplicate newspapers. Perhaps this is the lazy man's method.

Jim

I love the no-tear method and use it instead of the tear method. I also stick it in a zip lock and ready to go everytime. Just my 2 cents worth.....
Mike Thornton
View Profile
Regular user
Canton, MI
112 Posts

Profile of Mike Thornton
Gene Anderson all the way for me. A little more work but worth it.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
For those of you using the Newsflash 2.0--how long would you say the prep work takes? I'm thinking of getting this. I'm just wondering how long it would take to do prep work for, say, 3 shows on a Saturday.

Thank you!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Frankieacemagic,

Here is a little info. in secret sessions under: NewsFlash 2.0 how long?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=37&0

Nothing exact, just my experience as far as I remember.

-Mary
magicjluc
View Profile
New user
australia and France
61 Posts

Profile of magicjluc
Hi everybody,
I created a presentation of the newspaper torn and restored using the Axel Hecklau method, but it has all the avantages, as it's like a signed newspaper, the spectator is holding it, tear it, and leaving with the newspaper as a souvenir, and it got some mentalism in it as well. It's a 6 to 8 minute presentation...I did create this for a full 90 minutes show based on Alfred Hitchcock movies, speaking of "Shadow of a doubt" when Joseph Cotten is tearing off a newspaper to hide a clue.
Unfortunately I don't have that show in English, so you can see it here as a stand alone piece I did for a family performance instead of a stage performance. Not my best but the only one I have on video in English ...Excuse my French !

https://youtu.be/ZN61clSUu-M
Zatanna,female magician and mentalist, 2007,2008 & 2009 WA's Magician of the year, 2011 Fringe Festival magic slam winner. Festival Off d'Avignon 2021 2022.
Magicien professionnel au féminin close-up et scène Cannes Monaco Côte d'Azur.
https://www.zatanna.pro
Ignacio.Lopez
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ignacio.Lopez
I love this trick. I create my own method in 2012. It's impromptu, very easy to do, without gimmicks, glue or anything else. Could be set it in few seconds, the restauration is flash and you end up clean! You can give the newspaper to your audience at the end.
I will upload the video of a performance if someone are interested.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3701 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Pop voted for the Anderson Tear. I'd love to see a video of Ignacio's version.