The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Mike Roger's chop balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
It's my understanding that the Mike Roger's mini baseballs specially gimmicked for the chop cup are no longer being made.

Does anyone know where to obtain something similar?

I checked Van Dokkum's site but could not find chop balls.

Sources for any and all types of chop balls would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I know you can find baseballs here, not sure if they come in chop cup format or not.

http://www.magicpitch.com/products/balls/index.html

or

http://www.ammarmagic.com/

otherwise do a search on any of the normal internet magic stores.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Etienne M.
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
75 Posts

Profile of Etienne M.
Hi Videoman,

I posted the same problem a couple of weeks ago.
And I got this link.

Click Here!

They have got them in several colours too.

Floyd
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

-- Albert Einstein
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-28 23:42, videoman wrote:
It's my understanding that the Mike Roger's mini baseballs specially gimmicked for the chop cup are no longer being made.

Does anyone know where to obtain something similar?

I checked Van Dokkum's site but could not find chop balls.

Sources for any and all types of chop balls would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

You won't find everything that Auke VanDokkum makes on his web site. Drop him an e-mail and ask him what he would charge to make you a set of chop balls.

You might also check with Stevens Magic Emporium. Call them, it's faster.

Don't assume that just because you don't see something on a web site, that the person who put up the web site doesn't have it in stock.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
A word of warning about chop balls. They really need to be matched with the cup. If the m****t is too strong, the ball won't release. If it's too weak, then the ball won't hold. There's also a possible issue with polarity.

So, even though jeidenat or Van Dokum will be able to make you the necessary balls, you may find that they don't work well with the cup.

My recommendation would be to send Auke VanDokum your cup and ask him to make the balls. He's the only person out there that can make you a custom ball that will work perfectly with your cup. Any other solution is ultimately pot luck, and may not work at all!
Harold Cataquet
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You might also contact James Riser at http://www.jamesriser.com

If you have a STRONG MAG in your cup you can just inserts some needles into the ball along the seams.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
If you can't locate any M.R. balls, try this link for the standard types.

http://www.morrisseymagic.com/hand_knit_balls.htm

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mike made these by hand. Whith his untimely, sad passing, I bought a couple extra sets. I wasn't sure if the estate would continue to manufacture them.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dick Stoner of Stoner's Funstores in Fort Wayne, IN, informed me when Mike passed his wife was continuing to provide the balls to the magic community.

If you want to contact him at AC 206-428-1100, ask for Dick Stoner, he is a trade show performer so you may have to leave a message.

He had a few sets, they do make 2 sizes for C&B, and chop cup sets as well as final load balls for each.

The store is not on the web.

Good Luck
Bill
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you're desperate let me know. I could sell you one of my sets. I have two.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I may have the good luck of receiving a large used copper chop cup, yet balls will not come with it.

From what I've read, there needs to be the right balance between the strength of the balls and the gimmick in the cup - not too strong, not too light.

It seems the easy solution is to send the cup to Van Dokum as mentioned above to get a set to match the cup. Unfortunately, for the cost of international shipping both ways, I could probably purchase a new cup with a set of balls included and already matched.

How would you recommend matching the magnet to the cup? Does anyone know of someone in the US that can match the balls to the cup, similar to the Van Dokum situation?

Finally, I checked out the morrissey magic site for hand knit balls. I notice that the balls come in different sizes. What controls the strength of the ball attraction? In the balls, are the buried gimmicks themselves different sizes/strengths and the balls are generally the same size? The alternative could be that the strength/size of the buried gimmick itself in the ball is the same, and the strength is controlled by the size of the ball, and resulting distance from the core to the edge of the ball. Can anyone shed some insight?

I'm just trying to figure this out for when I need to start shopping, if there isn't anyone in the US that can "fit" the strength of this chop cup.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24316 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I think the best way is going to be to purchase a set of balls and see if they work.

The strength of the attraction in the balls is controlled by the strength of the gaff in the cup, the strength of the gaff in the ball and the weight of the ball.

The strength of the gaff in the cup depends on whether the manufacturer compensated for the change in attraction that copper gives to the gaff. This is more critical in miniature cups than in large ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think the cheapest way is to take your cup to the magic store and try out all the balls and see what works.

I notice that the crocheted balls work best in my Johnson cup. Mike Rogers works best in my leather cup or a pringles can.

Dennis Loomis solves the problem by using shimed balls and not "chopped" balls and I believe James Riser makes those?

Sounds like a trip to the store.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.