The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Our new arrivals :: Newbie with ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stefan_sny
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Stefan_sny
Hey there everyone,my name is Stefan Snyman(from south africa)I'm new to the Café,I was wondering what books/dvd's are great resources for learning ALOT of sleights??..oh and I've got a few great ideas for some effects with a pencil and a great effect involving the cups and balls(just to mension a few),I would love to hear from all of you.thanks:D
AdrianCravioto
View Profile

U.S
0 Posts

Profile of AdrianCravioto
Hey Stefan. I would love to hear more about your effects!
Stefan_sny
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Stefan_sny
Well,the pencil effect is a whole routine where a pencil changes colour,vanishes and appears but the climax is where you break the lead of the pencil and do a series of effecs with the lead such as making it fly through the air and land back on the pencil,making it vanish off of the pencil and then letting it appear again and so on...it sounds dumb but I have tried it out and it receives great reactions.Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Stefan_sny,

It sounds fun.

I'm not against sleights but you can't learn them all at once and it seems a strange focus.

Since it seems you are not all about the cards I'd ask in "Table Hoppers and Party Strollers".
It would be good to give them a specific area you're studying. Right now your question about sources is so open that the list would be huge. There are utility sleights but learning them in the context of an effect gives more meaning to your practice.

-Mary Mowder
Stefan_sny
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Stefan_sny
Thanks Mary for the advice*really appreciate it.Smile
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
Hi Stefan,

Welcome, I'm also quite new and from SA.

There are a couple of local sites that stock books and DVDs (so you don't have to order from over seas). I'll PM you the details.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Welcome Stefan, As you will learn, slights are only about 10% of an effect. DVDs are good, but Books will let you dream! Again, Welcome to the Café.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Welcome Stefan!

The magic comes more from the presentation and your performance then "the moves"

Yes sleights And moves matter - but as magicians we give people something special that comes from taking as much or more time to learn what elicits the most powerful reactions. I'm taking my first acting class now - and I've been Into magic over 35 years.

Good luck and have fun.

Brett
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10800 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Syefan - I would suggest you check out these FREE downloads from Vanish.inc

The one I recommend most is "Magic In Mind"

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-d......wnloads/
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Stefan_sny
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Stefan_sny
Thanks everyone for all the advice,I've found some great stuff thanks to the resources and yes presentation is everything(I have received amazing reactions by doing SWT but the presentation sells it.Really appreciate all the reply's.Smile