The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: If I’m not careful.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
If I'm not careful, I might just turn into a table hopper! Smile I filled in for my friend at the restaraunt again last night. I'm beginning to like this!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Hi Margarette,

I recall in another post you saying that you only know a couple card trick & I know that you do stage work & escapes. What kind of stuff are you doing at the restaraunt? I'm sure it would be difficult table hopping in a straight jacket. Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
At the restaurant, I did the linking paperclips, linking ropes, professor's nightmare, and the insurance policy. I also was prepared to do Crazy Man's Handcuffs, but kept forgetting! I did 5-10 minutes of magic and then balloons for the kids. Time went by quickly!

Margarette
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Sounds great, thanx Margarette.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Sounds to me like you are ready to become a table hopper!

For someone who hasn't done it before, your selection of tricks is just about ideal.

Work on it! You may have a whole new career ahead of you! Smile

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bravo! Margarette, Bravo! Watch out, you’ll be hooked by Table-Hopping. It is a venue that calls for well thought out short routines. It is also a venue that you will have to use all your interpersonal skills in dealing with all the various personalities and moods from customers, the wait staff, and of course the managers! It is a slice of life! And tons of fun!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1981 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
My only advice is to stay away from repeating effects, such as to two or three routines that link things, or "across" effects. To a spec, these are all the same trick with different props, very monotonous.

Otherwise...good luck.

What force are you using for the insurance policy? make sure it's a good one.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
There is some superb patter for the linking paperclips in the book The Wit and Wizardry of Norman Houghton by Ariel Frailich. Routine ends with appearance of a bunch of tiny clips.

Don't know what your insurance policy routine is, but best to force all three cards rather than the last one. Some people force the last card and apparently get a couple of misses. Try revealing all three you'll find it plays better.

Paul.
pwagorn
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of pwagorn
"linking paperclips" ..>?

is that the one with the folded bill, or something different?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Cool, Strolling or table work can be fun.

It seems like a lot of people find balloons
are very popular and can turn into a main feature of the work.

Recently I saw a " server" making very
elaborate balloons for her patrons.
Perhaps she will branch out into this as well.

Finding something that sets you apart from other workers in your area is important.
Mine is my Nearly Normal Puppets (marionettes and magic) that I mix with the magic.

Keep growing and glowing and have fun.

They say if you enjoy your job, you do not
have to work a day in your life.

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2002-08-07 01:38, pwagorn wrote:
"linking paperclips" ..>?

is that the one with the folded bill, or something different?

Yes! Norm Houghton's routine for this is a gem.I almost started doing it myself at one point.

Paul.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Quote:

...professor’s nightmare...

Now this name comes up quite a lot, but I have no idea what the effect is. Could someone describe what the trick looks like to a spectator?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me on this!

Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Professor's Nightmare....three ropes of unequal length are displayed...then these three same ropes are showed to be the same length. It's a trick that lots of potential for fun! I know I have a blast with it!!

Margarette
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Phonic, you probably know it as "Unequal Ropes"?

Paul.
truquero
View Profile
New user
México
60 Posts

Profile of truquero
I just want to ask: table hopping implies working just for tips?
Because I find it not advisable.
I like an idea by Vernon, he used to say that a magician working in a restaurant should behave like the owner, and if one is working for tips only, well...It´s not easy to follow Vernon advise... Smile
"No es suficiente que yo sea feliz, necesito que los demás sufran" Groucho Marx.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Truquero,
Getting tips from Vernon on work is a bit like getting tips from the Boston Strangler on door-to-door selling.
Smile
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
truquero
View Profile
New user
México
60 Posts

Profile of truquero
I´m very interested in what the strangler thinks about that (kidding) but, seriously,
I really think that Vernon advise is sound, although he may never did that kind of job.
Or as Eugene Burger writes in some book: a good way to get a really nice tip is to demostrate you don´t need it (It is not textual)The image one have before an audience is vital, that´s why I think it´s very important to work with a fee. Smile
"No es suficiente que yo sea feliz, necesito que los demás sufran" Groucho Marx.
phonic69
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of phonic69
Thank you all for filling in that little hole in my magical knowledge!

Personally I don't like rope effects and I don't think spectators do either. Am I right or (as usual) wrong? Is a rope effect as incredible as some card and coin effetcs?

I suppose it's horses for courses!

Smile
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
Quote:
On 2002-08-10 10:59, phonic69 wrote:
Thank you all for filling in that little hole in my magical knowledge!

Personally I don't like rope effects and I don't think spectators do either. Am I right or (as usual) wrong? Is a rope effect as incredible as some card and coin effetcs?

I suppose it's horses for courses!

Smile

For a while, Phonic, I did a handling of George Sands' Sandsational Rope Routine...people really DO like it. It's (to them) novel and baffling, and I found myself often giving the ropes away because they wanted to see them so badly.

And do you want to know a weird feeling? Being asked to autograph a rope.

TCR
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
There are no valid statements that you can make that start out: "All rope tricks...." Or "All card tricks...." Of "All coin tricks..."

Tricks and props do not entertain; entertainers do. I've seen some magicians get amazing entertainment out of almost any prop they touch. And the opposite is, unfortunately, also true.

There are some lay people who will say they don't like card tricks. But, they just havn't seen an entertaining performer that uses cards.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com