The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Yigal's Loops/Trantula/Spider Pen Pro Suitable For Beginner using IT ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TheMagicalMan
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalMan
I'm a beginner to using IT and strings, and have never used an IT before. Are Yigal Messika's effects like Loops, Trantula, And The Spider Pen Pro suitable for me ?

I'm willing to put money and effort into them, the effects look AMAZING and I havent seen a substitue for them really ? I heard the Trantula and Loops (espicially loops) wouldn't be very easy for a beginner, I don't know about the spider pen pro though. But I really have been inspired by these exact effects since I was a kid after watching Chris Angel, Cyril Takayama, and others perform these. So do you think these are suitable for me and I wll able to perform them or not ? Thanks.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Before spending a dime on Yigal Messika's effects like Loops, Trantula, And The Spider Pen Pro, scroll down to the bottom of the forum and read up on the section titled "Threads, reels and anchors" you will find much usefull info there and save a lot of money and disapointment from buying these particular items.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1538 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
What Poof said.

To answer your question in short:

NO. The SPP is a professional level tool, not recommended for beginners.

The Tarantula is a P.O.S, period.
Loops are a whole other creature; if you do decide to use loops over static lines, save yourself a lot of time, money and frustration and get Steve Fearson's EVE and learn to tie your own.

Now go read.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3706 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Skip the tarantula - not worth the money IMO. The Spider pen is a great tool. However, get Joe Joes amazing web spinner and learn to use it first, it's a fantastic tool.

Jim
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On 2013-11-06 07:34, TheMagicalMan wrote:
I'm a beginner to using IT and strings, and have never used an IT before. Are Yigal Messika's effects like Loops, Trantula, And The Spider Pen Pro suitable for me ?

I'm willing to put money and effort into them, the effects look AMAZING and I havent seen a substitue for them really ? I heard the Trantula and Loops (espicially loops) wouldn't be very easy for a beginner, I don't know about the spider pen pro though. But I really have been inspired by these exact effects since I was a kid after watching Chris Angel, Cyril Takayama, and others perform these. So do you think these are suitable for me and I wll able to perform them or not ? Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the fantastic world of IT;)

Buy yourself some loops and practice The Haunted Deck. Gets great reactions and I think you'll be satisfied and maybe even content..
I find the Tarantula to be too gimmicky and I wouldn't even consider the SPP.

But that's IMHO!
phillipsart
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
310 Posts

Profile of phillipsart
Hi, new member, first post, starting out in Magic, I am also a Beginner and interested in this trick. I am keen on the Spider Pen Pro, after reading this topic, I have just ordered the Vectra Line DVD + Vectra Invisible Thread of ebay. Can this Vectra line be used for the Hauted Deck Trick, I am very keen in perfoming this trick
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
I would suggest to work with standard IT first (wooly nylon thread; you can get in bulk). Buy, John Kennedy's Floating Bill or Wunderbar by Steve Dusheck... that will teach you a lot about IT. I think a good basic starts. Look up Al Baker & Steve Fearson effects. I would then get into loops, maybe a get a few Ammar IT Thread DVDs (which I have a few; pm me for a special deal) and then maybe a basic ITR (cheap on ebay)check out the Ultimate ITR DVD by James George, then if you like it get some more expensive props like SPP, Tarantula/Stealth Retractor, etc. each has their on purpose. SPP for hands-off effects.. SR & Tarantula for more control and animations.
phillipsart
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
310 Posts

Profile of phillipsart
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 22:57, RussoMagic.com wrote:
I would suggest to work with standard IT first (wooly nylon thread; you can get in bulk). Buy, John Kennedy's Floating Bill or Wunderbar by Steve Dusheck... that will teach you a lot about IT. I think a good basic starts. Look up Al Baker & Steve Fearson effects. I would then get into loops, maybe a get a few Ammar IT Thread DVDs (which I have a few; pm me for a special deal) and then maybe a basic ITR (cheap on ebay)check out the Ultimate ITR DVD by James George, then if you like it get some more expensive props like SPP, Tarantula/Stealth Retractor, etc. each has their on purpose. SPP for hands-off effects.. SR & Tarantula for more control and animations.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered some of the EVE - Fearson's Triple Vectraâ„¢ Elastic Invisible Thread on ebay in the past half hour. I am considering purchasing the Spider Pen Pro tomorrow via mail order, as I live way out in the country at Australia. I will take a look at your suggestions you listed. I also ordered of ebay the standard Vectra Invisible Thread with the DVD. I read somewhere that you can use the Vectra Invisible thread on the Spider Pen Pro, it's suppose to be a lot stronger than the supplied line. What exactly does IT stand for, I"ve read it on a few topics now, but I'm not sure what it is, is it just a short abreviation for making something float?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
IT = invisible thread. Vectra line, kevlar, wooly nylon, Harr ez strip...
ITR = invisible thread reel. Many mfg's. Spider pen pro is example of motorized ITR. most itr's are spool powered by rubber band holding tension to retrieve the amt spooled out.
IET = invisible elastic thread. Loops, Trinity System Legacy 2.0, EVE (Strongest IMO)
There are a few other motorized reels out there for IT. Kennedy makes some nice ones.

Hope this at least helps with the lingo a bit. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
phillipsart
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
310 Posts

Profile of phillipsart
Thanks Poof-Daddy, yes the lingo helps a lot, I was a bit lost when I first joined the forums here a week ago and didn't know what you where all talking about with the lingo.

I have owned my Spider Pen Pro now for a few days and I am happy to say I have found it a lot easier to use and setup than expected. nothing to overly difficult with it, the only problem I am having is our Notes, Our notes are made of some sort of a plastic and I am not getting any success with the notes. I can't see how it will work, at least not in the traditional methods shown in the video Tutorial supplied with the disk.

I need to practise the dog walk a bit more. I have not shown the magic to anyone thus far, Looking forward for the first Magic display using my SPP. Might test it out on my Brother and Sister in the next few days, they don't know I own a SPP, so this should surprise them.

Was hoping it would work with our bank notes. Can't really say to much about it without given the trick away.
Garbo
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Garbo
The "floating" card with a loop is a top notch effect when done correctly - and takes little practice. My best mate is still amazed by it and has no clue of how it is done! Smile