The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: DIY Dancing Cane Durability Concerns (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
Hello all, I have a question for those of you that may have tried making your own Dancing Cane in the past.

I just got done doing a prototype that I really like in balsa with hardwood tips. I've balanced it and done the necessary work for the gimmick.

I've given it a few test flights and I'm really liking the weight and balance so far, but the "secret stuff" is starting to cut into the balsa at the anchor points along the grain and I'm concerned that it's eventually going to just cause a split.

I don't have much experience working with balsa, so I'm not sure of a good way to remedy the problem. Maybe drilling a larger hole and inserting some sort of metal or plastic tubing so that the "stuff" doesn't contact the wood directly? thoughts?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can do one of 2 methods, go to your hobby or hardware store and buy the small eyelets, and glue them in the holes on each side. That is how my cane is made that I bought. They even have small electronic eyelets sleeves if you can find them. The other way would be to go to the same stores and by the brass or aluminum tubing for a dollar or so. Cut the length the width of your cane, file and sand the edges smooth. Then slide it into the cane. Then find a pointed tool and slightly spread the ends on each side. This will lock the tube into the cane. I hope you put your hole in the correct place.
Pathian
View Profile
Regular user
Dayton, OH
175 Posts

Profile of Pathian
Thanks Bill! I wasn't able to find eyelets that were small enough to be unobtrusive, but I was able to find some 1/16" brass tubing that worked well for the purpose as you described. I ended up also using a little superglue to lock it into place.