The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Arabian Tent Illusion Gospel Potential (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Friends I saw this illusion done as a haunted house on the big video site. A magician puts a sheet over himself and pretends to be a "ghost" and builds the house out of cardboard or whatever and then when the magician takes the top off of the "haunted house" he just built, THE MAGICIAN is inside the house! But wait, who is under the sheet then? The magician steps out of the haunted house and removes the sheet and it is his lovely assistant! A very magical and surprising effect described well in Mark Wilson's magic encyclopedia.

I saw a thread on this forum about the topic from 2005 but it never took off so I thought I might kick it off again with a new twist:

As a Christian performer the entire "ghost" and haunted house idea is not of interest to me so I began to brainstorm what could be another reason to cover myself with a sheet? What could be logical about the process? How could I relate this to a Christian audience and make sense?

I truly believe I have found something nice here and if you like it, please feel free to use the idea. The only caveat I beg of you is that if you use this idea in your show, that you also share your storyline, what and how you present, so that we all may benefit from it. No secrets between brothers and sisters in Christ. I truly believe many here could work to make this a strong Christian messaging illusion.

So what is it already? Ok...

With all of the current cultural interest in "Duck Calls" I decided to make the Arabian Framework illusion a "Camo" painted "Duck Blind" instead of a haunted house or magic temple etc... I cover myself in a camo colored sheet as my camouflage "hunting outfit" and my magic wand is for shooting ducks! The story line is based on the sheet that came down before Peter when the Lord commanded him to "Kill and eat" during the process of teaching him about carrying the gospel to all the world including the gentiles, but some fun can be had around the duck hunting angle. At the end, the magician (who is now the assistant under the sheet) exclaims that the duck blind will not work because their is a lid on it. (of course the assistant is merely gesturing to my patter through the cordless pa) When the camo covered assistant takes off the roof of the duck blind, the magician (me) pops up, holding 1 or more rubber chickens for dinner! The assistant is revealed to be a "gentile" female game warden who is there to arrest me for hunting out of season...

I am planning on working this into my next new show.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback?
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Sorry,

but duck hunting ?? in Church ?? Just sounds too gimmicky, and the Bible application wrong or unnecessary. I'd certainly never use it.

the original HOUSE illusion works well as a production device OR switching device for two cloaked characters - I would have thought that would have provided a better concept. And I always play people productions/switches with a lot of humour in a Church setting.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What's the message you are trying to convey?

The cardboard box could be made to look like a furnace, or church. The sheet can represent the Holy Ghost, The magician is free'd from his sins and finds himself inside the church, leaving his sins behind.

I don't know anything about the illusion's method, but thought I share the quick idea I had.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Back when Creative Magic made the Arabian Framework, they also sold a version that looked like a church. There are photos on their webpage:

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/frameworkaddons.htm

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/framework.htm

http://www.creativemagic.org/contests/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2013-10-23 17:17, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
Sorry,

but duck hunting ?? in Church ?? Just sounds too gimmicky, and the Bible application wrong or unnecessary. I'd certainly never use it.

the original HOUSE illusion works well as a production device OR switching device for two cloaked characters - I would have thought that would have provided a better concept. And I always play people productions/switches with a lot of humour in a Church setting.

Thanks for you thoughts TMA. I see you are in the UK and so let me clarify the cultural aspect here. First, my illusion show is for children. It is comical and entertaining and moves toward a more serious gospel presentation at the end. This illusion is at the beginning of the show to introduce my assistant and is more for laughs and entertainment than for deep spiritual teaching. It is precisely as you described above. I am switching two cloaked characters. They are cloaked in a camo sheet as hunters instead of a ghost, which would be wholly inappropriate for this audience. I am in the southeastern U.S. and there is a current TV show that is WILDLY popular that involves duck hunting and a devout Christian family and most all are very familiar with it, so the concept is culturally appropriate.

As for "gimmicky" or "cheesy", that is the whole idea friend. This is at the beginning of the show and is intended to be very lighthearted.

The message is elaborative of the concept of God's salvation in Christ being available to EVERYONE, not just the Jews as described above in my original post. This is also a verse referenced in our freedom under grace to live without the dietary legal restrictions of Judaism. Of course this idea, like all, is not for everyone nor to suit every style. It works for my style and my audience in a relevant way and is a piece of the process as I build my case for salvation throughout my show.

Finally, hunting and fishing are as popular here as the Prince and his new baby are in England. Every "Men's Banquet" in every church in the region ends with the giving of door prizes to include duck calls, shot guns, bows, arrows, scopes and fishing gear.

Duck hunting? In church? yes, believe it or not, it makes sense here and is speaking the language my audience understands. I offered it for any who might find value while recognizing that many, and perhaps most will not.

Regards,

M
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
131 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Quote:
On 2013-10-23 18:11, Danny Kazam wrote:
What's the message you are trying to convey?

The cardboard box could be made to look like a furnace, or church. The sheet can represent the Holy Ghost, The magician is free'd from his sins and finds himself inside the church, leaving his sins behind.

I don't know anything about the illusion's method, but thought I share the quick idea I had.

Thank you Danny,

I thought about this angle but I just was not comfortable making a comical version of the Holy Ghost. It's just to illustrate God's command to Peter to carry the gospel to all, not just the Jews and the removal of the dietary restrictions of Judaism. I do like your idea of ending up in church though. I am rattling that around in my head now and trying to come up with a reason for the sheet.