The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Packet Set (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Mule Henderson
How many effects can you perform with one packet to make a mini set/routine?

An obvious favorite would be Twisting the Aces followed by Dr. Daley's Last Trick, but what else are people doing?

Something I've come up with is an All Back's routine from Steve Beam followed by The Ambitious Classic by Jennings, but with only Ace through 4. These flow right into each other because of the cards they require, so it just works out nicely.

What have you come up with?
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
With just the 4 aces --

Overture
Sanverted

secretly palm an extra card and you can do --

Japanese Aces
Invisible Palm
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It depends on what consists of the "one packet" meaning. I stack my performance deck in a way that I can switch between a couple packets and still end clean. IE... set up for twisting the aces (followed by Dr Daley's last trick) on top. Directly under that setup is setup for Bro. John Hamman's twins. The bottom of the deck I set for Chicago Opener (which I don't open with) Smile then I place 3 cards on top A/s 2/s A/s (dupe) before retuning set deck to card box. (It fits, as there are only 54 cards - 52 plus dupe for top and diff back dupe for C/O on bottom) in the cellophane I place 4 cards necessary for Alex Elmsley's "4 card trick".

On with the set... in order
Open with 4 card trick from cellophane...put cards back when done (reset)

Next, remove deck and do a simple transposition in their hands w/A, 2, A...set A, 2 in empty card box when done. Add Additonal A to next set.

Next, pull four cards for twisting the aces and Dr Daley's last trick... return to centerish of deck when done.

Now pull the set out for Twins and lose in deck when complete.

Finally, Bust out with Chicago Opener. Loose odd back plus the dupe Ace, return the 2/s and you are off to the races with any random card effect.

You are actually playing with a full deck at this point.

I like to go ACR here - length determines itself and end with the cards transitioning to coins...sponges... tt - silk... ITR? whatever you want next.

4 card trick is a powerful opener and leaves you clean (exminble)
2 card transpo in specs hand - boom
Twisting the aces and Dr Daley's last trick - baffles them
Twins for the holy cripes kicker ending.
Chicago Opener. Wow them again (reopen in case you are losin someone)
ACR with a full deck of possibilities. Build, build climax.

NEXT??? Smile

Its been a working formula of mine for a long time when busting out the card stuff. Although it is a full deck of cards per say, you utilise several packets before bouncing back into a full deck routine.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
You could do intuition, then out of the blue, then dr. daily's, then twisting the aces.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-28 22:51, Poof-Daddy wrote:

Its been a working formula of mine for a long time when busting out the card stuff.

Although it is a full deck of cards per say, you utilise several packets before bouncing back into a full deck routine
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

That's impressive Poof, but what I'm really curious about is how people have combined tricks with only a small number of cards; being able to see wher two or three or more tricks crossover allowing you to go on for 5 minutes or more.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Some of the 'royal marriages' routines work together well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7kno-Pe-......inSQDPew
Mule Henderson
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Very nice Paul!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm reviving this thread because I'm curious about where I can find the second routine, the Richard Vollmer one, explained in print or on video

Thanks,

Bob
chinablue
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of chinablue
Must admit these days much rather learn from a video then from print.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1228 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2020, Bob G wrote:
I'm reviving this thread because I'm curious about where I can find the second routine, the Richard Vollmer one, explained in print or on video

Thanks,

Bob

It's called Together At Last, Best Of Friends II, page 540, written by Harry Lorayne

Mark
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Mark! Rereading my question, I wondered how anyone was able to interpret it -- *I* didn't even know what I was talking about! And today's my lucky day: I already own Lorayne's book.

See you,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Bob G
To Paul Hallas or Mark or whoever wants to answer: I was very glad to find out the name and source for the second "marriage" trick in the video that Paul Hallas posted above. I watched the video again, and now the *first* trick in the video is growing on me. According to Paul's comments that accompany the video, it's a Nick Trost effect. I looked through my Card Magic of Nick Trost, and there was an almost overwhelming amount of stuff about court card tricks. But I wasn't able to find the trick that Paul did, or at least I didn't recognize it. I like the idea of magically matching up just the kings and queens, and using the jack of hearts to play Cupid; I don't know if that was in Trost's original trick, or whether it was a nice touch that Paul added.

So... Does anyone know the name of this trick or where I can find it described and explained?

Thanks as always,

Bob
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Sorry I'm late back for this, the first royal marriages effect of the two was Trost's "The Royal Pairs" from "Subtle Card Miracles" vol.3. Trost does use the JH as cupid. For my restaurant magic I used to carry the cards around in a wallet, saved time rather than pulling them from a deck.

Another good Trost approach to the plot was "Courtship". It's probably in one of the books but I learned it from Aldo Colombini's DVD "Packet Trick Treasures". Many of his DVD's are now available as downloads from Lybrary.com.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Paul!

Bob
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2023, Bob G wrote:
Thanks, Paul!

Bob

You're welcome. Another interesting approach to the Royal Marriages plot I used over the years was David Gemmell's "Room 485" which appeared in my second packet trick book "Still Small, Still Deadly". Apart from being simple, it had more spectator interaction.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
[/quote]

You're welcome. Another interesting approach to the Royal Marriages plot I used over the years was David Gemmell's "Room 485" which appeared in my second packet trick book "Still Small, Still Deadly". Apart from being simple, it had more spectator interaction. [/quote]

I should also add that "Room 485" can be done with jumbo cards, because other than a Charlier Shuffle there are no sleights.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2860 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Good to know. I have both of your "Small" books, so I'll look this up.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Bannon/Montier's Fractalicious offers five tricks; I think all use the included set of five cards.

https://bigblindmedia.com/products/fract......57258213
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
On the subject of Hofzinser's Royal Marriages Plot, I recently resurrected Peter Duffie's The Marriage Bureau, which used to be available on his website (which is no longer available). There are nine handlings of the plot on the site, one or two were exclusive to Peter's website. I'm also going to add a couple myself soon.

Marty

P.S. To answer the OP's question, as I'm here anyway, I tend to stick to the classic three-act structure. For example, I'll perform a printing effect with four cards, transforming them into the four Aces. Next, I'll continue with my handling of Vernon's "Twisting the Aces". Finally, I'll finish with one of the many versions of Dr Daley's Last Trick that I perform.

I also think making the packet of cards appear to begin your set is a good idea. For example, you could use a H****r W****t, or some kind of bare-handed production. I'm fond of Cliff Green's "Phoenix Aces", Lee Asher's "Thunderbird" and Oz Pearlman's "Starry Eyed Surprise I & II".