The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Routine ideas for 3 Min Talent Show Audition (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
The message is partially correct, guys. He DID mention faith, which is what allows God to work in our lives. Remember that the Apostle Paul clearly teaches that salvation requires both faith and works (let's not start a big theological pee-ing match here).

Vlad and Danny are correct in that Love (works) in and of itself won't restore our lives when we have been broken, and neither will faith...and certainly not hope.

However, when we have love, expressed through faith, the grace and mercy of God can, and will bring restoration.

So, in that regard, I think Alex is spot on.

Besides, if Alex is doing this without words and to music...the theology of the words doesn't matter anyway. All the audience will take away (especially in a Church setting) is that broken things can be put back together...which is the gist of the message anyway.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
Quote:
On 2013-10-24 08:34, Mike Maturen wrote:
The message is partially correct, guys. He DID mention faith, which is what allows God to work in our lives. Remember that the Apostle Paul clearly teaches that salvation requires both faith and works (let's not start a big theological pee-ing match here).

Aw come on why not? That statement is ripe for discussion. Smile
Ephesians 2:8-9
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
155 Posts

Profile of alextsui
I will be talking to background music while performing the torn and restored newspaper because it's hard to convey abstract ideas like joy and sorrow purely by actions or mime. However, this audition is just for a talent contest on the theme of "Life". It's organized by a church but they did not specify that the content of the acts have to be strictly biblical because some of the contestants could be non-believers as well. That is why I intentionally made my message a bit generic.
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
RobFromNZ
View Profile
New user
New Zealand
99 Posts

Profile of RobFromNZ
Quote:
On 2013-10-24 08:34, Mike Maturen wrote:

Well, that's a hit-and-run. Saying the Bible *clearly* teaches something, then shutting the door to conversation. Smile God does more than "allow" faith to work in our lives, he gives the faith in the first place. Indeed, Ephesians 2:1-10 (as above) is worth careful attention.

Anyway O/P, all the best for the audition...
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Rob...

Not a hit-n-run at all. I am MORE than happy to discuss the theology of the whol thing via email or private message...or in a thread specifically designed for that. My reason for shutting the door to further discussion was two-fold. First, I didn't want to hijack the thread. Second, I didn't want the discussion to devolve into a pee-ing match, as they tend to do.

The only reason I brought the subject up in the first place is to illustrate that, indeed, his original story did have some merit and value.

I have studied That passage from Ephesians for decades. It simply proves my point. You cannot read that apart from James. The Scriptures must be read as a WHOLE...not a series of proof texts (not that I am saying YOU are doing this...I don't believe you are).
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Yes, we are saved by God's grace and God's grace alone. It is not of our works. There is nothing we can do to earn our way into Heaven. Even repenting does not earn us the gift of salvation. However, I have always believed that works is a sign of your faith. We must bare good fruit, and to do that we must work. We must work to be more like Christ. If we are not working on our faith, then our faith is dead, and no good fruit can come from that. Many have claimed to be "Saved" but then go on living the same sinful life they did before.

Mike is right, because there are some differences between denominations and our Catholic Church, most discussions do turn into a peeing match.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
dykstraj99
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of dykstraj99
Sounds like you have set what you want. Please let us know how it goes.