The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Good News! :: Eating humble pie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi everyone. I don't perform professionally but very infrequently get the opportunity to perform to various groups. Last week I performed in a fund raising cabaret and had the audience laughing continuously. This week I performed at a large Christian music and arts festival on Friday night and had the same response. My ego was getting huge. I then went back to perform specifically for the kids at this festival on Sunday but there were adults present. The lines I thought would evoke laughter came across as bad puns...some people looked bored....some looked like they felt sorry for me...I walked away feeling very cheesy. It wasn't a rotten act just not what I hoped for. The non magic act after me had genuine audience participation and everyone was laughing and having a great time. In my quiet time with God later...after I had blamed everyone and everything (it was a bit of a tough morning getting to the gig) I realized that in a very short space of time I had lost sight of my goal. I wasn't doing this as an act of worship to God, I was doing it as an act of worship to myself. I wasn't trying to love these kids, I was seeing how loved I'd feel. Had my heart been right with God, the act may not have been any better, but I wouldn't have put the same pressure on myself, it wouldn't have been about how many laughs per minute I could get or how may wows and gasps I'd hear but about how important these kids are and how loved they felt. My interaction with the audience would have been genuine rather than contrived and cheesy. I know professional performers and other regular performers grapple with pride, ego, etc. at some stage but this humble pie recipe with extra cheese thrown in was new to me. It wasn't the tastiest but I'm glad I ate it!
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Ego can DEFINITELY be a problem for performers, Christian or otherwise. Once in a while, it's probably good thing to have a show bomb...as you have said just to keep us humble.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I have been there.

Sometimes it is the low place in the road, that we meet God and grow.

I know it has been true of me.

You and your honesty are appreciated.

For years I did this one event...

I was asked to do a repeat after a few years of not being there.
The response was nothing like the one I was "used to."

Time with God...helped tremendously.

Last week, I was asked to come back in January for the 30th Anniversary event.
I thanked God, and got reminded of the things you wrote about.

In His Name.

love brother Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1183 Posts

Profile of Russo
A while ago came up with a thought - If you enjoyed Entertaining/Performing- and audience was happy(laugh-etc) it was like eating Cake- if they came up and commented -"great"-Wonderful" ETC- it was FROSTING - Cake is Good - Frosting is OK - just not NEEDED _ too much Frosting - -fattining(fat head) - just a thought from the Crazy old Man (Ha Ha) Ralph
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for sharing :)
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
After reading these post the last few days, I was reminded of a corporate show I did.

It was not ego, but fear that bit me.

The devil can use both.

Any worker has moments that a joke or bit, doesn't get the response we expect.
Persistence and recovery (ala Johnny Carson comebacks) can keep us in the game.

These days, I remember to all things to the glory to God in all things I do.
That includes during shows and taking out the trash.

love brother Harris
still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Kanawati
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Thank you all for your wisdom, experience and encouragement! John
Emanuel Chester
View Profile
New user
Howell, NJ, USA
30 Posts

Profile of Emanuel Chester
Thank you for sharing. Yes, if we lose sight of the goal: entertaining others, then we also lose our ability to do just that. And if our goal is to spread the gospel, then losing our sight of our goal means that those who expect us to spread it will recognise that we lost it and are performing only to further ourselves, our own ego, and they will not like it.
Renaissance Man ~ I am interested in a lot, I can do a lot, I have done a lot. Not all equally well, and there's still a lot more for me to explore.