The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Sankey Magic - Washers? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Not sure if this is the correct sub-form to post this on, but after reading through what seemed like over 100 different sections, this seemed like one of the better ones to post it in, so please bare with me.

Any how, when I was 9 or 10 I had been in to magic for a year or two. On a family vacation to NYC I was fortunate enough to go on a shopping spree at Luis Tannen's. I bought $400.00 or so worth of tricks which cost anywhere between 5$ and $80, so at the end, I had quite a bit. I'm 16 now and really getting back in to magic again. One of the tricks I had bought was "Holy Moly" by Sankey Magic (Jay Sankey) which came with the 4 washers ( two normal washers with a hole in the middle, a washer with no hole and another washer with 2 holes ) and a DVD on how to do the trick. So over the years, I did lose the DVD and I can't seem to find a tutorial on the trick anywhere. Is the name of the trick I'm looking to do maybe not even titled "Holy Moly?" Maybe I'm looking for a tutorial on the wrong trick. So below I will post a video of the performance of the trick which is quite simple, I'm just interested in learning EXACTLY how to do it. I've come up with a method of doing it but it doesn't look quite as good as some of the performances that I've seen on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to someone performing the trick: (the presentation on this one is a bit weird vocally but the actual sleight of hand looked pretty convincing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4jhWTGzPfI

any help would be greatly appreciate, thanks!
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
VanishingInc sells the Sankey "Bible". It's in there.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I really appreciate your reply, but I unfortunately do not have the money to buy the book right now. Any other suggestions by any chance? Smile
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
To re-cap:
1. You actually owned Holy Moly and watched the DVD awhile back.
2. You lost the DVD, but not the washers.
3. Now, after seeing the trailer, you still can't remember how to "exactly" do it, even though the performance is practically a tutorial for anyone with prior knowledge.

Holy moly,
M&S
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
You can get copies of the Holy Moly DVD on eBay all day long, sometimes pretty cheap. Also, try the For Sale section here, you can tell folks you are looking for a copy of the DVD, someone may offer theirs at a reasonable price.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
If you have a local magic club or local magic shop and ask there. I am sure someone has a DVD they can lend you.

Also go for it make up your own handling. All the slight used are coin slights so give it ago.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
I have the trick. I have the dvd. I have the washers. I use it all the time. Great great trick! Jay recommends just going with the three washers: one hole, two hole and no hole. Do it EXACTLY as you see him doing it on the youtube clip. That is all you need to do. It is a killer trick. Eyes pop when they open their hand. Make it about "making magic happen" for your spectator. Everyone wins.

Best wishes
Tom
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for holy moly washers and holy stretch gimmick, sankey does not sell the stretch gimmick. May have to try and make them.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4221 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2013, magicandsoul wrote:
To re-cap:
1. You actually owned Holy Moly and watched the DVD awhile back.
2. You lost the DVD, but not the washers.
3. Now, after seeing the trailer, you still can't remember how to "exactly" do it, even though the performance is practically a tutorial for anyone with prior knowledge.

Holy moly,
M&S

This
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2015, wally wrote:
Looking for holy moly washers and holy stretch gimmick, sankey does not sell the stretch gimmick. May have to try and make them.

Every once in a while Sankey restocks the stretch gimmick. Yet..

If you have any luck, I would like to know your method. The closest thing I can think of for this are the coin presses that exist at various tourist attractions, but they would leave unwanted words and or pictures on the washer. I can think of another approach that I heard about as a kid, but it may not be too safe.

As far as the other washers, I made my set with regular washers.. I filled the hole with pieces of solder, then slammed a hammer on it, and the solder stuck. You can see the interface between the original hole and the added solder, but then isn't that what a washer would look like if you really did what you claim to do?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you really want to make a washer, just get some metal at the hardware store or home improvement centers. They have metal to reinforce flooring, or just pick up one of the flat pieces sold separate for different kinds of metal boxes. Look around.

Then just cut out an oval pieces and the center or use a drill with the shank that has a file built into it and cut the shape out. File the rough and sharp edges and you have a stretched washer. Best to hold the metal in a vise.

This is a great little vise for small work at home, a Vise with a vacuum suction base.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TABLE-TOP-HOBBY-......6dfed8e0
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks Bill.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Very cool, and I see why you want to do it "properly" since the effect on the Sankey demo video held me spell bound. It bet J.B. Bobo himself, were he alive to day, would say, "Well I'll be switched!" if he were to view the routine. That should get you started if you own Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic! We don't need no stinkin' DVDs!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That Sankey video shows you exactly what to do. Simple spellbound move. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9545 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2013, MagicMason wrote:
I have the trick. I have the dvd. I have the washers. I use it all the time. Great great trick! Jay recommends just going with the three washers: one hole, two hole and no hole. Do it EXACTLY as you see him doing it on the youtube clip. That is all you need to do. It is a killer trick. Eyes pop when they open their hand. Make it about "making magic happen" for your spectator. Everyone wins.

Best wishes
Tom

Someone just did this for me the other day at work, and didn't know that it was Holy Moly by Sankey. He actually had the slugs made just that way. Said he had a lot of them made, but must've seen someone do it and figured it out.

Anyway, Mason, Pete and some others here give good advice as to this…"Just do it as you see Sankey do it" as pretty much that's the way it's done, just as it looks, just add the simple-enough mechanics. A most easy and effective little trick to do. Smile

I love Sankey's work, and one of my favorites to do still to this day, is his "Leaving Home"… Love that trick and it just amazes people to no end -- Just impossible! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9545 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Ooooops! "2013" Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I just read this today now and I'm reading this post wondering why I needed the DVD-- I don't remember ever writing this, aha.