The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Why Pull Coins From Thin Air (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3079 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Producing coins makes sense, if you are going to produce something--why not money? Everybody can relate to money. JOhn Carney does a great Misers Dream, and during the act he says he taught Donald Trump how to do this (producing money out of nowhere) and now he's in the hospital for exhaustion.

Sometimes before doing a coins across I bring out a coin purse and say I am going to do a coin effect (or words to that effect) and attempt to dump them on the table, feigning surprise, then produce them one by one out of nowhere.
bobthemagicdoerguy
View Profile
Regular user
I can't remember where I left my
186 Posts

Profile of bobthemagicdoerguy
I use silver eagles as my performance coins, and introduce them as premium silver dollars. I can talk about monetary inflation, shiny things, whatever I want. Usually people like to look at them and that justifies using them in magic. Also, using the as collector's items (Morgan dollars) or precious metals (silver eagles) justifies their value beyond the time when people carried them around like pocket change. Heck, even putting coins in parking meters is going out of style as cities are turning to the credit card automated systems!

For what it is worth, the motivation I am planning to use in my Miser's Dream routine (which I am working on but haven't yet performed...) is that I will begin with producing dollar bills. Then, I inadvertently rip one in half. To my dismay. So instead, I begin pulling coins out of the air.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
"Yeah I know mister Neighbors that you can end clean on a vanish but its harder technicaly and more importantly STRUCTURALY."

No not that hard! I have Some easy Handleings! And you just have to give it a reason In your Patter! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
379 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
I like patter so I'm interested Smile
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
379 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
I like patter so I'm interested Smile
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Well I would have to do the routine for you so that you could hear the patter! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
The main reason I produce the coins to start with is that it is instant magic. Straight after introducing myself, I can produce a coin, and then produce coins from different people, getting their names in the process. Occasionally people are reluctant about seeing magic, so getting multiple phases of magic in early changes their mind and gets everyone's attention. Then they want to see my coins across before it's started! Most of my sets start with some kind of production/multiple production for this reason.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-09-15 18:59, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-15 17:27, Eric Caldwell wrote:
. . . making coins appear from thin air seems odd.

Makes more sense than leaving them there for the next guy.

That could be a very good line while making coin appear...
Yes, a very good line!
Do you use it?
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
379 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
I like this post Smile

Here is what I think

I think that you need to achieve a full circle of illussion.

what I mean?

if you start with nothing is better for the logic of the spectator that you end up with nothing.(PRODUCTION..AND VANISH)..and if you start with the coinS Then you need to end with the coins (vanish ..and producction) if you follow this circle then the magic happens fighting woth the logic of the spectator but then when it comes back to the starting point then the subconciusly relax and can think in lot of magical endings...for example that all was an ilussion... or all was a dream.

so I preffer to star with the coins in view and end with the coins on view that is because if y END WITH A VANISH ..THEN I AM DIRTY I NEED TO MAKE A MOVE TO DITHC THE COINS . and its structuraly bad to do a move after the climax. its a better contruction if you end with the climax
so if your ending sequence ends with a production then ypu are CLEAN

that is why I preffer to start with the coins in view presenting them as coins maibe dreamed ..maybe ilusson...but I preffer no to start with a magical production. Smile

HAVING SAID ALL THIS I TELL YOU THAT I ACTUALLY USE PRODUCTIONS AT FIRST IN SOME ROUTINES .AND ALL THIS IS JUST WHAT I THINK AND IN ART RULES ARE MADE TO BREAK THEM Smile

cya guys

Nicolas Pierri
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I do it because everyone always asks me (or the magician) if they can make money.
Works for my stage act as my character doesn't really have control of his magical powers (i do a lot of kid and family shows). I get Coins instead of Bills. Miser's dream in every show.
Walkaround, its a great way to introduce coins. Eric Jones taught how to pluck coins from thin air and end up producing as many coins as you want for the routine on his Metal series.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think I mentioned this once before, but regarding the nothing-production-nothing cycle I'm still intrigued by the idea of leaving a shadow, an ash, a residue of the visitors from the other place. Not quite sure what form that would take with coins...With a flower, the obvious answer would be some petals, but still don't know what with coins...
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Nice idea, Landmark. Using your ash idea, perhaps a coin imprint on your palm. "All that is left is a shadow of the coin", and then wipe it away as well. Just spit ballin'.

Randy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Iron filings or similar?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you've got the coin rattles and can afford to do this as a throwaway...

It would be impressive to end with empty hands palm up. Make a fist and have the sound of coins, pour these into your other hand with appropriate sound and drop that into your pocket. In essence bold faced pretence that the coins are not really gone but simply invisible.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27303 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you've got the coin rattles and can afford to do this as a throwaway...

It would be impressive to end with empty hands palm up. Make a fist and have the sound of coins, pour these into your other hand with appropriate sound and drop that into your pocket. In essence bold faced pretence that the coins are not really gone but simply invisible.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Been There! Done that! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com