The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Steel and Silver (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey, I am purchasing Steel and Silver on video. What is your opinion on the material? I have seen Mr Gertner's Steel Cups and Balls. That was my motivation for buying the trilogy. It perked my curiousity to see what else he has up his sleeve. Smile

I understand the routines are performed seated, but has anyone taken the material and applied it to stand up? Looking forward to the tapes and your thoughts.
Brian Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I owned them and sold them. He's a brilliant magician, but I wasn't entertained. I know some folks don't think that's important, but it is to me.

My fav's are David Williamson's videos, Scott Guinn's DVD and Bill Malones set. I want the magic to be killer, but I want to laugh and be entertained as well.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I felt the sort of the way Chris did... I thought his effect were good but, he was just an averge preformer. He methods are intresting and they do give you lots of ideas.

Lee
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks, Lee!

I saw him on World's Greatest Magic and was interested in seeing more, but was disappointed.

Chris

marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
That's a little surprising to me. I don't own the videos (the book is fantastic, however) but I have had the priviledge of seeing Paul perform live and he is a dynamic performer, IMO.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Brian,

I'm sure all of these guys that didn't like the videos also "immediately knew the method and handling" of his "Ring on the Hourglass" trick. Smile Just razzing, guys.

The volume with this effect also has an awesome coint trick called "that's ridiculous" which had me rolling out of my chair--it is that absurd.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Brian,

Having read your previous posts at MC, I know you're a thoughtful and knowledgeable guy. You are the kind of magician who will enjoy and value Paul's work.

He is one of the best magicians performing today...and has been for over twenty years. He's a consummate ("supremely accomplished or skilled") pro. His technique is flawless and his thinking very creative.

Steve H
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey thanks guys! I knew if I just poked a little more at this topic, that I could get some opinions. Smile I appreciate them.

And thank you Steve for the nice words.

MagicChris wrote: "I want the magic to be killer, but I want to laugh and be entertained as well."

Chris, If it were presented with Jay Sankey doing the same effects, would you feel more entertained? Im just curious if your reasoning is because the tricks were dull or his presentation. I know Ammar's old classic tapes can be a bit "drawn," but his stuff is "killer."
I hope I am not losing anyone. Forgive my rambling. Smile

For the people who have/had the videos and got something worthwhile out of them, can you tell me what it was you liked?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2003-12-21 17:43, Brian Proctor wrote:
Hey thanks guys! I knew if I just poked a little more at this topic, that I could get some opinions. Smile I appreciate them.

And thank you Steve for the nice words.

MagicChris wrote: "I want the magic to be killer, but I want to laugh and be entertained as well."

Chris, If it were presented with Jay Sankey doing the same effects, would you feel more entertained? Im just curious if your reasoning is because the tricks were dull or his presentation. I know Ammar's old classic tapes can be a bit "drawn," but his stuff is "killer."
I hope I am not losing anyone. Forgive my rambling. Smile

For the people who have/had the videos and got something worthwhile out of them, can you tell me what it was you liked?

That is a great question. Hmmmm. I'll have to think about that.

GREAT question!!!!

iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Hey Brian, Get his stuff, its all killer!! just add your own presentaton....
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Tommy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tommy Brown
I have the tapes and they are among my favorites. Having seen Paul perform live, and seeing some of his classic pieces live, I must say he is among the best in the business.

He may not be an over-the-top performer, but his magic has strong impact. His FISM act and philosophy are worth studying if you want to ever compete, at any level.

Smile