The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Self adhesive flocked paper? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
As I mentioned, different applications often require different products. It's good to have as many resources as possible. Recently, I had a project that would benefit from a velvet texture, but available products were not quite the ticket. Turns out that blown-on flocking was the best choice. You never know... Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2017, Michael Baker wrote:
As I mentioned, different applications often require different products. It's good to have as many resources as possible. Recently, I had a project that would benefit from a velvet texture, but available products were not quite the ticket. Turns out that blown-on flocking was the best choice. You never know... Smile

Hey Michael,

Im no stranger to flocking and have used it on many items. I try to avoid it because its messy and dosent always stick great. I may be doing something wrong but it wants to keep shedding fuzz. I use oil base paint to stick it then let it dry a few days and then blow it off with compressed air but it still wants to shed. Am I missing something?

Gimpy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's kind of the nature of the stuff to shed. It's better if the treated areas are not subject to wear. You might have better luck if you use an undercoat adhesive meant for it. This is probably the same product sold by Rockler, but I buy it direct. The adhesives are color coordinated to the color of the flock fibers, too.

These little mini flock kits are good if you only have small projects. Messy? Yes. Work it in a large deep sided pan so you can recover the loose fibers. A little goes a long way, but it takes a goodly amount to do the job initially.

http://www.flockit.com/index.php/product......its.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
I converted this to an electrostatic flocker. Like Michael I use a colored glue used specifically for the purpose and after it dries, I blow it out with the compressor and then go over it with a soft toothbrush. never sheds and is tough as nails, you can't scrape it off. plus the electrostatic charge makes it stand upright for a nice velvet finish.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-30-psi-p......244.html
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
This is our flocking station. The pieces sit on a barbed bar which provides the negative charge while the tip of the gun has the positive, It also has a sloped surface which catches all the used flocking in a can below for reuse. The bottom sloped surface is made from a heating duct graduating down to a 4" pipe. The whole interior was painted with spray on plasti-dip. It works like a dream.

gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Wow great tips on the Flocking,had no Idea.

I had a chance to take a look at all 3 of the above recommended products. All are completely different.

Rockler velvet is the blackest with the deepest nap. Its about twice a thick as the other 2 brands. its the most flexable of the three. It is the most like real velvet. Its about 5 times as expensive as the other two. comes no larger that 12x24

McMasters carr is the second most black its the stiffest of the three. Closer to flocked paper than fabric. Great price and comes in rolls so it would be good for big jobs.

AVotlet is the least Black but close to McMasters Carr. Its flexable, fabric like, and comes in rolls as well. Good price.

All three are nice but Rockler is hands down the overall winner if money is no object.

Gimpy
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Awesome gimpy thanks for the review. Honestly whenever possible we flock. It is far more durable and cost effective. You should give it another try. Here is where I purchase mine

http://www.flockit.com/index.php/order.html

Just so you know, the light Buff color mixed with about 5% red makes a great flesh tone....just to get you thinking....

Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Thanks for the comparison Gimpy!!
Rockler has 20% discount coupons that go out pretty regularly if you sign up for their email. Might bring the price down to 4X as expensive ......
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
This was one of the most informative posts I have seen in a long time. Someone had a problem, people came up with various suppliers, someone did a review of them, and someone else offered a different solution. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you all!

If we aren't careful, someone is going to say that The Magic Café is a place for Magicians Helping Magicians. Smile
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Don't forget that here is another solution:
http://gizmodo.com/theres-a-new-material......cialflow
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1188 Posts

Profile of Russo
My pennys worth--- Contact paper can be used to change the 'box'-'tube'- etc- without perm. painting it-- I changed my 'forgetful freddy' - to Pinocchio with card stock cut out and rubber glue for EZ removal --Had an artist friend draw me a set of cute 'Playboy Bunnies(clean)' made up a set of Hippity Hops for adults parties- a Blond and a Red Head with red and yellow bathing suits---for the final turn around - you saw the 'Backs' of the Bunnies with a fuzzy tail -- what do you think??- p/m me -
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On May 26, 2017, Russo wrote:
My pennys worth--- Contact paper can be used to change the 'box'-'tube'- etc- without perm. painting it-- I changed my 'forgetful freddy' - to Pinocchio with card stock cut out and rubber glue for EZ removal --Had an artist friend draw me a set of cute 'Playboy Bunnies(clean)' made up a set of Hippity Hops for adults parties- a Blond and a Red Head with red and yellow bathing suits---for the final turn around - you saw the 'Backs' of the Bunnies with a fuzzy tail -- what do you think??- p/m me -

Russo, are you a mentalist? I was sitting here trying to remember the name of that prop and you pop up and say, Forgetful Freddy! That's it!
The force is strong in here.....
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
WoodCraft
https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=flocking&button=search
has a flocking kit that I have used on several occasions for the inside of jewelry boxes. I would imagine that it would work for a Square/Circle as well. I know that it is tenacious stuff once the glue/paint dries, and is much easier to work with than trying to wrestle with spray adhesive backed velvet. The double cardboard tube applicator blows it in very well, covering even in corners, without the unadhered edges you often see with velvet. Tape off the area to avoid coating areas that need to stay clear. When you match the glue/paint, the effect is a deep, plush finish. Once blown out with an air hose (after it sets), it will shed about the same as real velvet.