The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: DVD/Video tape scene :: Reed McClintock's The Coin Patriot DVD :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Whenever Reed McClintock releases anything to the magic community, I always take notice. Reed's keen sense of timing and flawless misdirection coupled with good solid magical thinking are always a real treat for me and the following is a few thoughts on his latest dvd release. Enjoy. Smile

Reed McClintock's The Coin Patriot DVD
-------------oOo------------

Disc Description: Despite all the dice, moving tattoos and twisting cards, Reed McClintock's loyalty will forever remain with coins. His Knuckle Buster series embodied Reed's philosophy that magicians shouldn't just do coin tricks, but rather should perform what looks like real coin magic. The elegant and fluid style of the work in Coin Patriot raises the bar even higher still as Reed strives to elevate his coin work to the realm of moving art. If you have ever wanted to handle more than four coins (say, up to twenty), then this is the DVD for you. Coin Patriot not only shares the work that has earned Reed a reputation as one of magic's most skilled and innovative coin workers, but also reveals his growing mastery in the art coin magic.

---------------------------------------

The ad copy above pretty much sums up not only some of Reed's philosophy of magic, but gives us a small glimpse of what one would expect from one of the best coin workers I've seen in a great many years.

Like Reed's first dvd release Coin Ovations, we are treated with a set of coin routines that are not only pleasing to the eye, but go far and beyond the average coin trick. Smile

If terminology such as The French Drop, Shuttle Pass, JW Grip, Finger Palm and the Classic Palm do not frighten you, then you're well prepared to tackle the material that Mr. McClintock presents on this disc. That said, let's take a quick look at what this, Reed's second dvd release has to offer. Smile

Resolution 1777 - This is a nice barehanded production of seven coins. Using six Barber halfs and a British Penny Reed really delivers, and so will you with a little practice. Smile

Flying Colors - Silver coins behaving like a group of circus acobats and then suddenly changing into British Pennies for a grand finale! This will take real dedication to master, but once you do your audiences will love you for it. Very cool says I. Smile

United We Stand - This is a performance only presentation of coins playing a game of hide and seek using a small purse frame with the appearance of a giant coin for the kicker. Very entertaining. Smile

Uncle Sam Wants You - A fantastic barehanded production of thirteen coins done to music. Nice to watch and worth a look.

Freedom Flight - If you've been wanting to do a killer 3-Fly routine but can't decide which gaffs to purchase, this may be right up your alley. Using British Pennies Reed presents one of the cleanest and most magical looking routines on this now popular theme. The best part? Visually startling and uses absolutely NO gaffs. My favorite on the disc. Smile

American Dream - If you like producing a giant coin at the end of your coin routines, then THIS is the effect you should be doing after you produce that bad boy of a coin. Picture this; Your audience is still wondering where the giant coin came from, when you proceed to produce no less then twenty additional coins to eventually form an image of an American flag. This is very visual and on the Patriotic side, perfect for a 4th of July event. This is coin magic presented as art.
Very refreshing. Smile

The disc itself is packaged nicely with cover art done by Steve Dobson to a nice Patriotic theme. While the sound is okay, the lighting is a bit on the hot side. While the production values could have been done better this disc still shines compared to most stuff I see released. Reed explains everything well enough to learn by and with the advantage of dvd technology allowing one the ability to pause, reverse and slow down as the need arises you should have no trouble.

I will add that most of the material Reed presents here for your consideration will take some time and dedication to master. If you're looking to amaze someone quickly and easily I suggest purchasing a Scotch & Soda. However, if you want to perform some original cutting edge magic that no other magicians in your area will be doing, then I highly recommend you take the plunge and purchase this disc asap. Recommended. Smile

-----------------------------------

My rating:

Available from your favorite dealer or you may purchase directly from:

Reed McClintock
20782 SW SKIVER ST.
BEAVERTON, OR. 97007

(503) 997-2273

You may email Reed at:
reed@reedmcclintock.com

Or visit his website at:

Click here!

Suggested retail is $30.00

Dealers - contact Murphy's Magic Supplies, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-800-853-7403
Or visit Murphy's website:

Click here!
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks