The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Other birds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Hey, what do you guys think is the best bird to use besides doves?.. I'm on my way to the pet store in a little while and I have an extra cage, I was thinking of getting two parakeets.. Yes I admit. .I'm addicted to birds.. lol

Justin
Newly renovated and ready to be explored:

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
I always liked the thought of using cockatiels...
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Oi... I gave in and bought two more doves .. LOL.. I went to the pet store and I saw a white dove with another in a cage, a small one at that.. they were asking 50 bucks for them but I knew the guy and got a discount with a cage.. The only thing is, the other dove is a mocha color and a beautiful one at that, but I have no clue what kind of dove it is.. I'm guessing ring neck?.. It has a thick black ring around its neck. They were horribly takin care of.. I didn't see any grit in the cage, and the other doves beak has grown so much without a cuddle bone that it is overlapped..

Just thought I'd share =P

Justin Smile

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You did well to avoid the parakeets for magic. They are beautiful but too hard to work with in an act loose. I raised parakeets for a major pet supplier back in the eary 80s and had hundreds to choose from. I never had but one that I would trust on stage. The best way to deal with parakeets in a magic act is to keep them in a cage during the act. Make the cage and all appear and disappear.

I write Dove Hotline for dove magicians. You will find it if you go to allmagicguide.com and search for Dove Hotline.

http://www.magicauction.com/DoveHotline/DoveHotline.html

It has some info about using parakeets.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4865 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Justin, the beak is just like the nails. You can file the overlap down a little with an emery board. You can also clip it. I had one bird with an overlap but had the vet clip it. I was afraid of cracking it. It only cost me about $10 for the clipping and it was done right.
Don't be afraid of the mocha colored bird. It can make a nice contrast in your act someday. As you know, I use the pied doves sometimes and Amos Levkovitch even has a grey one in his act. There is nothing that says you can't be different.
Where the magic begins
JustinDavid
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of JustinDavid
Thanks for the response guys, and yes I will definitely use her in an act, that was also a reason I got her, she is beautiful. She is one to come out of a silk fountain because of the colors on her. As soon as I get my camera back I will take pictures for your guys.

Justin

www.JustinDavidMagic.com
Mr Phil
View Profile
Regular user
Tilton, New Hampshire
160 Posts

Profile of Mr Phil
Ok on the same thread. Except for doves and keets, what other birds work well for magic?
Mr. Phil & Co. Quality Family Entertainment, Guaranteed! (603) 286-3029 WWW.mrphilandco.com Snail Mail to: P.O. Box 31 Tilton, NH 03276
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mr. Phil,

My wife currently uses geese. Over the years we have used ducks, baby turkeys, chickens, guineas and we have a parrot. Guineas are the worst of the lot to use because they are untrainable.

What do you use?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Chinese Cochan Chickens.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
I have an umbrella Cockatoo - she is now 4 years old and a real gem to work with - be forwarned though - parrotts are like small children - then need tons of attention and training.
We also us keets in the OLEP !
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Marshall has a very good point. Chickens are probably the easiest birds to train. They do not seem to live as long as doves and parrots. But they are easy keepers; come in a real variety of sizes, shapes and colors; are inexpensive and lay eggs you can use.

Over the years chickens have been used quite a bit by magicians. I still use the babies in a dove pan routine sometimes. Years ago I did trade shows for a very large commercial organization that raised chickens. It was fun!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com