The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Zombie Ball Sans-Gimmick or Sheet (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
A.Iezzi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of A.Iezzi
Hi All,

For my show in September I am trying to use the Zombie Ball in a different light. Previously Envoute has done a belly dancing routine with the traditional Zombie set-up but THIS time I want to see if I can pull it off without the gimmick and sheet. I figured taking an approach as if it were a contact juggling ball would be possible, where the lovely performer rotates the ball aroung her hands and along heer arms and adds in the occasional mysterious float, but how would that translate on a cabaret stage? Thoughts?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't think it would work very well. Part of the knowing the ball is floating is that if the ball moves the person does not, and the person moves the ball is at rest or stationary.

I would try Raymond Crow "Naked Zombie", but I believe the rules would still apply. The audience has to be able to tell that the ball is moving, other wise the illusion is totally lost in all the gyrations of the performer.
A.Iezzi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of A.Iezzi
Hmm...perhaps I will get you a video to let you know what I mean.

When the ball is levitating out of the performer's hand she will not be moving. It is similar to the suction-cup-thumbtip in execution.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't see how a belly dancer and a ball can work together, but that is how I see it in my minds eye.

Again, get Naked Zombie and go from there, you have to create or make the prop yourself, it is only DVD instruction and routine.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5447 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You could look at Charlotte Pendragon's "Wonderball" too. It is a different kind of hook-up for a one person floating ball. It would take a bit of choreography to get it involved in a vigorous dance situation. But it and the Naked Zombie Bill referenced would get you brainstorming. You may actually have to do an OKITO floating ball thing (off stage manipulation of the actual ball) and build a strong routine that flows. Kind of like John Calvert did for the Dancing Hanky (Casper the Ghost). Same idea different object.

Interesting idea. Bill is right. If you go for a contact juggling kind of thing that's what it will look like - Contact Juggling. The premise of the Zombie is a heavy object floats with a mind of its own. It should seem detached and remote from the dancer/magician.

Years ago Vito Lupo did a floating ball mainly using Mime. His skills at Mime sold the fact the ball was totally out of his control and detached from him. Yet one or the other of his hands never left the ball. A good presentation, it was short, whimsical, and magical.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1419 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Check out YouTube on the "Wonderball", before you purchase it.
It's painfully obvious what's going on. I can't believe you could convince anyone except may be five year child.
And it's not cheap ($350 USD).

The Naked Zombie is probably exactly what you are looking for, although I would cut out some of the over the top moves in the version I saw. That's on YouTube also.
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of Hare
Raymond Crow's "Naked Zombie" artistically beautiful handling of the disarmed Zombie Ball is as lovely and magical as these things get.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Go back to some of John Calvert's old routines.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 15:06, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I don't see how a belly dancer and a ball can work together, but that is how I see it in my minds eye.

Again, get Naked Zombie and go from there, you have to create or make the prop yourself, it is only DVD instruction and routine.

I played a club date for a men's club in Chicago, a couple years ago. Following me on the bill was a belly dancer. He wasn't very good.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
A.Iezzi
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of A.Iezzi
Actually, the Naked Zombie Ball is EXACTLY the look we were going for. It even has the elements of contact juggling that I was referring to. Thank you so much, folks!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Zombira is picking up momentum in popularity, and the value to the manipulator is substantial. I've added to the end of my traditional zombie routine for a completely engrossing effect.

Jimmy
www.jimmyfingers.com/products
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Https://youtu.be/3FAjYC0nI0w 1:45 mark, after the traditional Zombie routine

www.jimmyfingers.com/products
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I just ordered Zombira! I'll give a brief review when it arrives!

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow! How do I review this...

An absolutely OUTSTANDING idea! I have got to run through this a few times. I would NEVER have thought of this! Worth every penny!

Doug
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I remember being impressed with Tony Spina's Astro Sphere when I saw it on stage done by him at a convention show. I later learned how it is done. The effect is much more that you'd think after you know how. The silk is transparent or translucent and you know right away it is not Zombie. The kind of sheer chiffon kind of silk would go with a belly dancer.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Astro Sphere is another favorite of mine!
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Bill's post reminds me of Slydini's quote about his version of the Dancing Cane vs. the other one (Peter Cane's?) Tony always said "Magicians do the Dancing Cane wrong. They dace WITH the cane. In mine, I don't dance, only the cane dances."