The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: For the record :: First ever card sandwich? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Where does a sandwich effect first see print? Let's get the earliest date possible.

Yehuda
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Not sure about where in print, but Harry Lorayne in one of his DVDs claims he first invented the Sandwhich effect with his Two Jack Sandwhich. I imagine it's wriiten up in one of his books.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
MagicPedia cites The Obedient Card , published in The Magic Wand, January 1917 as an early source.

My earliest recollection is The Royal Finders from Merlin's ...and a Pack of Cards, published in 1927.

Both of these effects predate Harry Lorayne's One-Eyed Jack Sandwich, which was published in 1965.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
To be fair, I don't think Harry claims first invention; he more typically says that he helped spark the (then) current "craze" for sandwich effects.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Very good, Kabbalah. Thanks!

Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, landmark - you are, of course, absolutely right. One of the things I have to live with is - people putting words into my mouth...usually words that are sooooo wrong - like: I NEVER claimed to INVENT anything!!!! Thanks again. Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com