The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricky business :: Another website critic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Until now I have been using WordPress and I have been editing it myself, this is why it has some details that does not look professional.

these days I am thinking to hire a professional to edit my website or build a brand new one; I will appreciate your opinion about the website as it is at the moment! please keep in mind that it is not orientated to English speakers so the Spanish page is more relevant for critique.
also the site is not designed to suit cooperate events rather more like private or social events (birthdays, weddings, etc).

http://dimagician.com

thank you
Dimitri
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

I will very appreciate your comments!
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
1. Lose the Forrest Gump quote. It'd be better to put a client testimonial there.

2. The copy seems to be all about you, not the potential booker. Nobody cares about you, they care about themselves.

Josh
Josh
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Dimitri to a degree I have got to agree with Josh,

You have to have the YOU stuff, but what about the hooks for the potential client..... Where is the buy in? What are YOU going to be providing for them (aside from magic)? Where is the emotional tie? Also the site is tooooooo sllllloooooooooowwwwww, mostly caused by HUGE graphics files (the picture in the close up page is over 2mb) What about previous clients, what they think?

But there is good stuff there too, but by your own admission you are not a web designer.

Getting a pro to do it can cost a lot. Also be aware at what the consequences COULD be getting a pro. FOr example, if the do it all in HTML and you don't know HTML you would be tied to them, or someone else who knows HTML to do any updates, additional pages etc, which again costs money.

Personally I would go for a good hobbyist or find someone who would do it as a project for themselves for University or college or something, OR find someone who is wanting a magic show and do a skills swap.

If it were me, I would opt for Joomla. I do all my sites in it. Get someone to do base design with base content for you and show you how to add pages etc (all quite easy especially after a bit of training and a good book) It is also VERY easy to add "things" to it which fit in with your site easily..... for example.... Feedback page, Photo gallery, Testimonial page, etc etc. For me, wordpress is harder to use than Joomla and is more restrictive than joomla....imho.

Another tip...... Go to successful magicians with very good web sites and read their content and see what they are doing and adapt it to your own needs. Oh for the sake of SEO, get rid of the front landing page. Who have good sites..... try searching in google for magicians for hire, magicians for wedding, search fgor other Magicians near you (That is a worthwhile exercise too, to see what you need to do to get above them in search engines)

Good luck

G
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
DON'T GET A HOBBYIST. Most don't know what they are doing. If you were to throw a party to impress some potential customers for a new business of yours, would you hire hobbyists to cater it, DJ it etc.? NO!

Another thing I have learned the hard way is what you think looks good, and what other magicians think looks good is NOT necessarily going to make new customers. You must ask potential clients what THEY think of it - and ask them to be brutal. In my experience people like to be asked their opinion.

I personally like the graphics - they're different. Ares Rich Media's graphics look nice, but they don't have a clue on how to create a web page (assuming they created this for you.)

Like magicians, there is no standard to which web designers are held. As you have 13 y/o "magicians", you have the same in web design. Like magicians, most will tell you they are very competent . . . in their eyes anyway. I would find a designer forum and see who is respected. A good web page need not be expensive - there are a lot of scam artists. If you use the graphics/text you created, a good developer can help you for less than $400.

As for the text, having info about you is important, but look at a Coke commercial. They spend their time making you thirsty and making drinking a Coke to be fun and refreshing - not on the carbonation or color. Coke is a well known brand, and you (and I ) are not, but there is a lot to learn from them. . . Jack Turk (http://magicmarketingcenter.com) has some great marketing material, I would look into that. It goes on sale a few times a year, and you could save up to 50%. No, I don't make any money from him, nor do I even know him personally, but he seems like a great guy and very helpful. He sends out marketing newsletters with lots of tips too. Of course he is trying to sell his product, but it is not all sales pitch, and the tips have been helpful to me.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1181 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Hi, I am a WordPress developer if you need any help Smile
Sparkybear
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Sparkybear
Quote:
On 2013-07-21 12:14, KC Cameron wrote:
DON'T GET A HOBBYIST. Most don't know what they are doing. If you were to throw a party to impress some potential customers for a new business of yours, would you hire hobbyists to cater it, DJ it etc.? NO!

I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time KC.... The hobbyist route IS a dangerous route.... granted. Yes you can get a dud, undoubtedly. THat is why I said a GOOD hobbyist. By that I mean someone you KNOW is good from previous work, on recommendation etc etc. You can get a dud, BUT you can also get a dud paying a so-called professional to do it, by not carrying out the exact same checks. Hell we all know better than most...... I have seen some really good "hobbyist" magicians, and seen some really bad "professional" magicians.

The reason I learnt Joomla and basic web design was too save money and offer client in previous job (dealt with small companies, private clubs, charities etc) more bang for their buck when dealing with me. So I am strictly a hobbyist, but I have put out better sites than some so called pro's at a MUCH smaller fee.

Quote:
Another thing I have learned the hard way is what you think looks good, and what other magicians think looks good is NOT necessarily going to make new customers. You must ask potential clients what THEY think of it - and ask them to be brutal. In my experience people like to be asked their opinion.

Absolutely, that is why doing homework off what others have already tried and tested is good. You don't steal there work, but look at those you know are getting a lot of interest and work from thier sites, look at the site, see what content their is etc, and cream ideas. 100% you are right, what a site looks like and feels right does not matter IF the client is not getting what THEY want. The best way to find that out is to simply ask.

Every site I have done always follows the same formula and the last part is continually asking "is there something you would like to see added / taken away / changed" - "what would make things better for you" - "what is working or doesn't work for you"

Quote:
I personally like the graphics - they're different. Ares Rich Media's graphics look nice, but they don't have a clue on how to create a web page (assuming they created this for you.)

Funny you mentioned that... 2 thoughts came into my head when I saw them..... either 1. A good graphics designer did the artwork and someone else did the site or 2. Someone good at designing artwork and not so good at web site creation did it all.

Quote:
Like magicians, there is no standard to which web designers are held. As you have 13 y/o "magicians", you have the same in web design. Like magicians, most will tell you they are very competent . . . in their eyes anyway. I would find a designer forum and see who is respected. A good web page need not be expensive - there are a lot of scam artists. If you use the graphics/text you created, a good developer can help you for less than $400.

As for the text, having info about you is important, but look at a Coke commercial. They spend their time making you thirsty and making drinking a Coke to be fun and refreshing - not on the carbonation or color. Coke is a well known brand, and you (and I ) are not, but there is a lot to learn from them. . . Jack Turk (http://magicmarketingcenter.com) has some great marketing material, I would look into that. It goes on sale a few times a year, and you could save up to 50%. No, I don't make any money from him, nor do I even know him personally, but he seems like a great guy and very helpful. He sends out marketing newsletters with lots of tips too. Of course he is trying to sell his product, but it is not all sales pitch, and the tips have been helpful to me.

Will have too look at Jack's site myself... thanks for the tip. You can never learn too much.

One small tilt of the hat KC.... your http://blacktieparties.com/ site is in need of a web page title...... "Untitled Document" will be hurting your SEO buddy.

Cheers

G
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Thanks for all the comments.
SHAKUNI, as a WP developer it would be nice to hear your opinion as well.

Cameron you are right about Ares Rich media!
jugglery
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jugglery
Hi Dimitri,

One quick comment:
Don't name your videos things like "Show Reel 2012" or "close-up show reel". The clients don't call them show reels. "Reel" is what we call them, the viewer would most likely call it a video.

It is better to give the video a title that describes the experience in terms the client can relate to, if you use a title at all. And giving it a date (2012) quite literally dates it! This is 2013, so the video is branded as old.

Better to say, "See Dimitri in Action!" or something similar.

Steve
Steve Russell

www.steverusselljuggles.com

Video Editing - www.GigReels.com
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-07-22 01:38, jugglery wrote:
Hi Dimitri,

One quick comment:
Don't name your videos things like "Show Reel 2012" or "close-up show reel". The clients don't call them show reels. "Reel" is what we call them, the viewer would most likely call it a video.

DONE!
jugglery
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jugglery
Another thing I noticed:

You spell your name Dimitri, but the title for the page (the title shows up in the tab) you name is spelled "Demitri".
Steve Russell

www.steverusselljuggles.com

Video Editing - www.GigReels.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
This is the company that maintains the Café website; she knows magic AND HAS VERY GOOD PRICES

She maintains my website

mary@gmbwebworks.com

email her for information