The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
josie67
View Profile
Regular user
Syracuse, NY
118 Posts

Profile of josie67
Hi Again
Here is another rating question. What volumes of Daryls Encyclopedia of Card Sleights would you recommend for a beginner. Just the first few or the whole set? Any particular volumes better than others?
Thanks
Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch?
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Well I have never watched any of these, but I'm going to take an educated guess that you should study them in chronological order.

I'm biased towards books, I am a huge book lover. May I suggest you purchase volume one of Card College?
Who is John Galt?
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
Darryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights are actually DVDs. I have the set. He goes over the sleights pretty quickly, but they are loaded with tons of information. Not that many tricks included. Some people may not recommend them for beginners. I'm a beginner too, but I've been using them as a reference in conjunction to books. If I read about a sleight I'm not sure of, I refer to the dvds to get a better idea. Vol 1 is very basic, he goes through different terms, types of cards, and various types of controls. Vol 2 and onwards, he gets more in depth into the sleights, controls etc. I would recommend getting the whole set because I don't think one volume is better than the other. Go to one of the online magic sites to check out what is covered in all the different volumes.
I hope this helps.

This should probably go in the DVD/Videos/Audio Tape forum instead.
Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
Oh I knew they were DVDs I was just saying that other fact about the books. I guess I wasn't too clear.
Who is John Galt?
catbertek
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of catbertek
I have all 8 EoCS dvds and they are an excellent resource. I really love both sides of this contentious coin: book learning vs. visual learning.

I have no doubt that there is a much greater amount of raw information in books but sometimes it is invaluable to have something demonstrated.

I love 'em all!

Regarding EoCS, I would also recommend getting them in order. The material on different dvds/tapes may or may not be easier or harder but occasionally a topic will span 2 tapes/dvds. For example, the Jog is explained on vol 1 and continues in vol 2.
mwolfire
View Profile
New user
Mark Wolfire
91 Posts

Profile of mwolfire
I think these are just fine for beginners. There is a huge range of material here. From easy to impossible. Besides, I find seeing the impossible stuff inspiring rather than discouraging. I have these all on VHS tape and can't wait until they break so that I can justify buying them again on DVD. I would also recommend getting them in order as catbertek has mentioned.
Mark
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi,
vol 1 is very basic... and I really enjoyed it cause he taught some very basic and important stuff in that vol...

if you are just a beginner, I suggest getting vol 1 first, then practise and decide what you want to learn and take it from there...

I actually started with vol 1 and jumped to other volumes, based on what I wanted to learn... and guess what... I end up buying all the volumes in the series... and if I had known earlier, I would have bought the whole set... much cheaper this way...

as mentioned in the posts earlier, there are not much tricks to learn, but you learn a lot of sleights... but every now and then you get a "trick break" as daryl calls it... and he teaches you how to use the sleights you have learnt to perform those tricks... a good example would be the 8 card brainwave...

if you want classic tricks and come basic sleights, you should get Ammar's easy to master card miracles... and get the whole set at once, don;t buy individually, you save a ton of money if you buy the whole set of 6 volumes at one shot... that's what I did... and that was the best bargain I got in a long time... highly recommended... you will love it....

cheers
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Roger Boucher
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roger Boucher
I went with card control and shuffling because I find that allot of what you do with cards is just that, I believe that it was number 8 but I don't have it on hand to check.

Roger
danielchua
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
119 Posts

Profile of danielchua
It's worth your money. Go get it. I have them all though I am still taking my own sweet time to go thru. Lots of resourses. U will not regret it!!!
Magic_Roy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Magic_Roy
Sounds like a great investment, but at a price of more than £200 in the UK I'm in no huge rush to buy them all at once. Did you know that you would save more money if you buy them all individually but miss out the first volume than purchasing them all together in a set. After all, if you're not a complete beginner then what's the point in buying the first volume Smile Smile Smile
'And on the 8th day God cast down upon the earth a flutter of Bicycle brand playing cards accompanied by a Short moustached man with his sleeves rolled up grinning a devious grin. And God saw that it was good.'
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Volues 5, 6, and 7 have the most useful techniques in my opinion. advanced double lifts, second deals, vanishes, color changes, everything Smile