The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: What is the no. 1 trick in the whole entire world to teach kids 5 years old at a workshop? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hi everyone,

I need to do a 45 minute workshop for kids around the age of 5.

I want a trick that is of course very easy to do, yet will (at least a bit) amaze the parents when they'll show it to them.

So - what is that no. 1 trick to teach?

Thanks,
Simcha
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
The Magnetic Pencil is an easy one that I taught my granddaughter when she was 5. Now she's 6 and she still loves to show "her magic."
PaulSharke
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of PaulSharke
I've always been fond of this one: http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Paper......ing-Them

Edit: There's also the removeable thumb gag: http://www.ehow.com/how_2253043_look-as-......umb.html
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
For that age group, I prefer Adair's Monkey Puzzle or Butterfly Puzzle. Both are optical illusions, so the kids don't need a lot of skill. The old Color Cube is good, 'cause they can do the dirty work behind their backs. Another easy effect is the Clipped Card, where the person tries to put a paper clip on the center card, but always fails. It looks like the magician is doing something sneaky, while s/he actually does nothing.

Download your own Clipped Card design here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5d7zFh-PA

You can also buy them in bulk from D. Robbins for $8.50 per 100.

Adair's Monkey Puzzle looks like this: http://www.daytonamagic.com/adair-s-monk......31f.html But can also be bought in bulk from Robbins.

Hope this helps.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I have a 5 year old so I can speak from experience here. The only thing that will amaze adults is if you can teach 5 year old kids to eat their vegetables every meal and go to sleep right away when it's bed time.

That said, I personally think any beginner workshop should be about teaching fundamental concepts that they can enjoy and use for years to come. Most self-working pocket trick that you might find in children's magic kits will get the job done. There is no one trick that is the end all solution here.

And frankly, you shouldn't over complicate this for yourself.

For example, tonight I taught my daughter how to make a paper ball disappear. I showed her a paper ball, put my hands behind my back, moved the ball to one hand, and brought both closed fists out in front of me. I then asked her to guess which hand is holding the paper ball. It didn't matter whether she was right or wrong since I would repeat these steps 3x - turning it into what is a fun guessing game to a 5 year old. But the 4th time I put my hands behind my back, I swiftly dropped the ball in my back pocket and brought both closed fists out in front as I had done before. Of course this time when the guessing was done, I proceeded to show her that the ball had now completely vanished. This may sound stupid to you, but to a 5 year old, it's as much a miracle as pulling an object out of their ear.

In a workshop, you can show them the effect first, then break it down into steps that they follow along with using their own paper ball so that they learn the value of building a routine. Teach them to maintain eye contact with their audience and to repeat the same words each time they go through the motions of putting the hands behind their back to repeat the guessing game. Then teach them to practice dropping the ball swiftly in their back pocket with one fluid motion before bringing the hands back out in front as they did the prior 3x. Have them practice this with a partner in the workshop, and teach them to never perform any trick until they can first fool themselves doing it in front of a mirror.

If a 5 year old does this well for their friends, it will amaze them when done correctly. And when done for adults, the parents will pretend to be amazed, instilling confidence in the little magicians as start up entertainers. A workshop should be about teaching fundamental skills that that they can build upon while having fun. This simple trick along with the steps I just outlined teaches the kids the value of learning a routine, misdirection, patter, execution, and that practice makes perfect. The mirror also helps them understand angles. These same fundamental skills apply to both a beginner or a pro!

- Gary
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Maybe the name is Psychic Crayon, I forgot. Place a crayon in the performer's behind his/her back. The performer turns around to mention what color the crayon is.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 00:59, Dynamike wrote:
Maybe the name is Psychic Crayon, I forgot. Place a crayon in the performer's behind his/her back. The performer turns around to mention what color the crayon is.

This is a good one, and it use items (crayons) which are cheap and every kid has them.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3169 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
To add a thought to what others have said.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you perform the trick first. Maybe do it a couple of times to get them excited about learning how to do it.

Then, and this is important, let them know upfront that the secret is going to be simple. Stress that just because it is simple doesn't mean it won't fool others. You don't want the secret to be a letdown.

Remember how we in the beginning would sometimes think, "oh this won't fool anybody" Smile and then it turns out being our favorite move. Kids can think that way too.

Tom
Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
I do a trick that I will try to describe. I hold up my first finger. Rotate my hand so they can see both sides of it. Then I hold up the first finger on the other hand. Do the same thing. I concentrate very intently on my fingers. They do as well because they don't know what is going to happen. Then I quickly hit my fists together and magically I have two fingers on one hand and none (just a fist) on the the other. I make a face like I can't believe what just happened. The key is to build it up with the preparation.

Oh course their immediate reaction is to giggle then say, "I know how you did it." They start trying it themselves. I always tell them that they can't just run off and show it to someone else, they have to practice it to make sure they can do it first. Then they can show someone. Some of the younger ones can't do it on the first try, but get it after a few tries.

SO that's just a fun trick for five years olds, but then you better teach them a real trick. My vote is for psychic crayons.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 00:59, Dynamike wrote:

Correction. Maybe the name is Psychic Crayon, I forgot. Place a crayon in the performer's "hand" behind his/her back.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-06-28 11:39, TomBoleware wrote:
To add a thought to what others have said.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you perform the trick first. Maybe do it a couple of times to get them excited about learning how to do it.

Then, and this is important, let them know upfront that the secret is going to be simple. Stress that just because it is simple doesn't mean it won't fool others. You don't want the secret to be a letdown.

Remember how we in the beginning would sometimes think, "oh this won't fool anybody" Smile and then it turns out being our favorite move. Kids can think that way too.

Tom
Absolutely! The advantage to performing the trick first reinforces the idea that, though it is simple, it was able to amaze even them. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
My hat is off to you Simcha. I'd not likely try to teach magic to 5yr olds. Entertain them...yes. Teach them....not.

With that said....maybe float a pencil by holding your wrist and use the missing finger to hold the floating pencil.

Glass of water with red food coloring. Place a celery stock in it and watch it suck up the water and turn red.

Good luck.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think the trick with the quarter stitched into the corner of a hanky (for a coin vanish) with a coin slide into a ball of yarn (or whatever) is very magical and very easy.

instead of the ball of yarn, you can use the "bunny box" or whatever it's called where the coin ends up inside a rubber-banded bag, insdide a rubber-banded box, inside another rubber-banded box.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Arm chopper
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
George. They might not have the strength or motor skills to do an arm chopper. They should instead, use a finger chopper.

- - - - - -
5 year olds
Weisenheimer Coin Trick or penny to dime
Pull-through Color Changing Silks
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Guillotine then, they just have to unwind a wee rope. Simple.
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot for your insightful replies!

BTW - I had a good laugh at the last 3....

Best in everything.
Simcha
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Does anyone know of any other simple but effective tricks to show kids aged 5 to 8yrs, I do the psychic crayons and the grip seal bag strip, magicwalsh@gmail.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2024, wally wrote:
Does anyone know of any other simple but effective tricks to show kids aged 5 to 8yrs, I do the psychic crayons and the grip seal bag strip, magicwalsh@gmail.com

This thread had a variety of ideas, and also leads to other threads:

Magic Cafe thread titled... Tricks to teach kids between 8-14

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
495 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Fortune Telling Fish is a great trick for little kids.

Coloring Book might also work great.

I never had the trick Vanishing Crayons, but as far as I know it is extremely easy to perform:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYk-uXsbwkQ

How about flap cards?