The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Buying & Selling Digital Copies of Books and DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1181 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Hi,

I have a question.

In Buy and Sell Forum, many times people put books and DVDs for sale. Isn't it ok to ask them to sell a digitized copy of a book/dvd?

I ask this because of the extremely high shipping costs. It normally costs $100+ to get a book from US to India via fedex. I cannot use any other shipping method as it will get "lost" for sure.

The only option I have is to ask sellers to sell a digitized copy of item. They can then destroy the original copy. It will work just like actual physical exchange.

Is it wrong?
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
It's not necessarily wrong, but it's an awful lot to ask for someone to scan an entire book for you. I'd probably charge something equal to that shipping cost to digitize 200 or 300 pages.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1181 Posts

Profile of shakuni
Most of the times its actually a booklet, which has ~25 pages. Also copying a dvd takes only few minutes...
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Fact...it's unethical.
you would be stealing money from the author and creator's of the books and dvd's.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
DVDs are digital. Books ... up to the copyright holder and many are already in digital format. Publishers wish to make the sales so your basic request (to purchase digital books) is very sensible and right on time in the market/technology. Say hi to the guy who runs Lybrary.com about your needs.

best wishes,

jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Tree, my first thought was that the copying is unethical/illegal, but he did specify the original be destroyed, so it would not be like making multiple copies available for sale. It would be the conversion of one book to a digital format to shipping the physical item.

But as Jonathan points out a great many books are now also available as ebooks and may be purchased that way directly.

Lybrary.com also hosts the Learned Pig archives now.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

Ezekiel the Green
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 21:06, CJRichard wrote:

I can't find them under any specific heading. Are they just mixed in and around everything else?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
You might check out the Lybrary or L&L E-publishing for LEGAL and LEGITIMATE digital books. Otherwise you are on flaky and unethical grounds, I think.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 21:18, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

I can't find them under any specific heading. Are they just mixed in and around everything else?

You have to look under the individual books mixed in with everything else. For example, the Tarbell Course, Jinx, etc.
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 21:18, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

Michael,
If you log in to your Lybrary.com account (if you have one), then on the "My Account Information", there's a section called "Tools" and a link to "TLPP:The Learned Pig Project", the books he's hosting there.

Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.

Larry S.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 13:59, Tree wrote:
Fact...it's unethical.
you would be stealing money from the author and creator's of the books and dvd's.

Gotta disagree with the fact statement. I see nothing wrong with what shakuni proposes. A sale not made is not theft. I don't buy stuff everyday, quick, lock me up.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
If who ever owns the rights to a perticular book hasn't converted it to a digital format, then a person owning that book doesn't have the right to create a digital copy and sell it. That would be piracy. There are plenty of books now that are in a digital format. Besides Lybrary.com and L&L, there's the Conjuring Arts Research Center, Peter Duffie and several others.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Could also be argued that what we are selling here is The Secret. That’s a different thing from a copy of a movie which, although it may be remembered in vivid detail, is only experienced during playback. You can’t “unlearn” a secret, and most magic items aren’t intended to serve as entertainment in themselves.

When you make a copy of something you have already learned, you are in fact making a counterfeit second item, and BOTH items exist in reality, even if not in form.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Michael,

You don't have to search titles individually.

If you're logged into Lybrary.com go to "My Account" then scroll down to "Tools" and "TLPP The Learned Pig Project" link is right there. Click and go.

Chris

Ezekiel the Green
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Got it! Thanks!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-06-10 12:18, silvercup wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 13:59, Tree wrote:
Fact...it's unethical.

Gotta disagree with the fact statement. I see nothing wrong with what shakuni proposes. A sale not made is not theft. I don't buy stuff everyday, quick, lock me up.

No, it's not theft. It's called a civil or criminal copyright violation. In the US, copyright protection is mandated by the Constitution and enforced by Federal law:

Quote:
Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the United States Constitution, known as the Copyright Clause, empowers the United States Congress:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Clause