The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Seeing is believing :: An illusion that doesn't fool schizophrenics. (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Gaaargh
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gaaargh
Wired Article & Example

Does it fool you?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? the transition between views is astonishing.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
A Little voice told me I wouldnt be fooled Smile
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The video with this article is surely not what the experimenters used. The article indicates that they used a 3D image.

When watching a 2D video there is no "truth" as far as concave or convex. The interpretation of the unpainted side of the mask being convex and turning counter clockwise is just as true as the interpretation that it is concave and turning clockwise (when the features of the face are in view).

The image is flat and not concave or convex. I only mention this because many of the commenters seem to miss this point.

If you believe this article you would need to see the situation in actual 3D to draw a conclusion.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Simon Layland
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Simon Layland
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2013, MeetMagicMike wrote:
The video with this article is surely not what the experimenters used. The article indicates that they used a 3D image.

When watching a 2D video there is no "truth" as far as concave or convex. The interpretation of the unpainted side of the mask being convex and turning counter clockwise is just as true as the interpretation that it is concave and turning clockwise (when the features of the face are in view).

The image is flat and not concave or convex. I only mention this because many of the commenters seem to miss this point.

If you believe this article you would need to see the situation in actual 3D to draw a conclusion.

I've seen a few articles about this over the years and your right, they use a 3D image in a single color for the actual test.
MatrixAddict
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MatrixAddict
Try as I may I could not see the concave mask. Also, the Chaplin mask vid was freaky.
Alexander2701
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Alexander2701
It doesn't seem to deceive me