The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Smooth as silk :: Handkerchief vanish and appearance via TT - too overexposed to perform? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
267 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I recently added the TT to my Magic to Music Routines. It seems to always get a good reaction. I also use it for Strolling if kids are around. Yes. many things have been exposed. However, if you pick the right audience and perform it well and in an entertaining way, I seem to not get many hecklers saying they know how I do it. Cheers!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2013, Caféinst wrote:
I'm beginning to think that the proper way to do this trick is to color the TT green and never show it to the audience. Sort of like regular sleight of hand, pretending to put a coin in one hand while really keeping it in the other hand. There is really no reason to show the TT to the audience, expecting them to overlook it. What is the gain in doing so?

VERNON'S WAS CHROME PLATED.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Jul 9, 2021, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2013, Caféinst wrote:
I'm beginning to think that the proper way to do this trick is to color the TT green and never show it to the audience. Sort of like regular sleight of hand, pretending to put a coin in one hand while really keeping it in the other hand. There is really no reason to show the TT to the audience, expecting them to overlook it. What is the gain in doing so?

VERNON'S WAS CHROME PLATED.

Urban legend. The names change ... sometimes it is claimed to be Vernon, sometimes Jack Chanin, Al Flosso , Max Malini, or some other old master to lend credibility to the yarn.

No magician , no matter how skillful, would purposely choose to perform for a real audience with a chrome-plated TT (sometimes the legend claims it is painted bright red). This is only a stunt that might be done in a magic shop or magic convention among other magicians. The story is usually trotted out to reassure neophyte magicians who are needlessly fretting over the colour of their TT not matching closely to their own skin. While I do believe there is some truth in this legend (i.e. not to be overly concerned with a precise match to your real thumb) I think what proves the "chrome plated TT" to be an urban legend is to simply ask yourself this question: Then why is it even shaped like a thumb and given a "flesh" colour to begin with ? Why bother if you can achieve the same results with a shiny metal tube that is not flesh colour? Perhaps it is just a scam by magic dealers to sell items to amateurs who do not know any better. Or maybe , just maybe, it is shaped like a thumb and is flesh coloured for a reason?

Here's another thing you can try to debunk this legend. Whenever you are hanging out with professional magicians (or highly-skilled amateurs) make a casual survey: "Do you prefer using a Vernet TT or the soft vinyl Japanese TT or an old-style metal TT?" I predict no one will answer: "I don't use any of those , I just cut the end off an old metal cigar tube and after years of using it the paint has all chipped off so it's just bare metal now. Works great for me." (You have to be casual in asking the question, because if you tip them off about what you are driving at , they will most likely start to boast and brag about their chrome plated TT or their red TT or the old cigar tube with the paint chipped off and how no one ever catches them at it because they are so good. This will especially happen if more than two magicians are present at the same time . It is a game of one-upmanship.)

Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2022, Jean André wrote:
While I do believe there is some truth in this legend (i.e. not to be overly concerned with a precise match to your real thumb) I think what proves the "chrome plated TT" to be an urban legend is to simply ask yourself this question: Then why is it even shaped like a thumb and given a "flesh" colour to begin with ? Why bother if you can achieve the same results with a shiny metal tube that is not flesh colour?

To follow-up on my previous post, I was recently re-reading the Karl Germain book (by Stuart Cramer, edited and re-published by Todd Karr) and noticed a passage where it talked about how Germain made his own TT's. On page 271: "Germain made his own TT's fashioned with papier-mâché over a replica of his own digit made out of dentist's plaster ... painted with great care to match his own skin".

Germain was known as a perfectionist who often fooled other magicians. He was no rank amateur fretting over needless details and yet he thought it was to his advantage to meticulously craft this gimmick to appear realistic at close range.

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Check out Hal Saxon on YouTube
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I use a TT often. Not just with a hanky. Bill. Change, salt, coin appearances, hole in shirt, etc.
My TT arsenal consists of about 8 various size and material TTS.
Also magnetic TT, suction cup, razor, Fliptip, lites, slush powder, flame, flash, steel, etc.
Hal Saxon has excellent tutorials and ebooks on handling.
Ihor
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2022, Ihop wrote:

I have seen his videos. I think he has good ideas on handling , but frankly I am not happy to see magic techniques posted on Public access videos on YouTube. I wish he would change the status of those videos to Unlisted or Private for access only by magicians who join his website.
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2022, Jean André wrote:
Quote:

I have seen his videos. I think he has good ideas on handling , but frankly I am not happy to see magic techniques posted on Public access videos on YouTube. I wish he would change the status of those videos to Unlisted or Private for access only by magicians who join his website.

Thanks for the feedback Jean André ... Everything that 'reveals' on my Youtube channel is Unlisted or Private unless I missed one.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Quote:
On May 30, 2013, Caféinst wrote:
The handkerchief vanish and appearance via the TT is perhaps the most amazing effect in magic. But in my experience, many laymen know the secret.

I'm wondering whether this effect is too overexposed to perform. What do you think?

This is an old post but, no if it is done right it is still baffling. The secret is in proper handling.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
65 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2022, Halmac wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback Jean André ... Everything that 'reveals' on my Youtube channel is Unlisted or Private unless I missed one.

I'm very glad to hear that video status have been changed to Unlisted or Private. The last time I looked at your YouTube channel there were still a number of somewhat "revealing" videos which had the status Public.

I think you missed this one ("Covert tt handling" starting at around the 1:02 mark)

Your skills using it are excellent , so I think just posting performance-only videos without revealing it are strong enough to spur the interest of those who are truly interested in learning to perform magic to visit your website and sign up as a member.

Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2022, Jean André wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2022, Halmac wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm very glad to hear that video status have been changed to Unlisted or Private. The last time I looked at your YouTube channel there were still a number of somewhat "revealing" videos which had the status Public.

I think you missed this one ("Covert tt handling" starting at around the 1:02 mark)

Your skills using it are excellent , so I think just posting performance-only videos without revealing it are strong enough to spur the interest of those who are truly interested in learning to perform magic to visit your website and sign up as a member.

I’ve been following Mr. Saxons' YouTube videos for about 2 months. Ever since he generously offered his TT Tutorials (Cookbook etc.) to magicians here in the Magic Café Forum.
I’ve never seen any exposure. Perhaps you’re referring to pre March videos. I don’t know.
He also has videos on Facebook.
Ihor