The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Everything old is new again :: History of Woofle Dust (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
We realized that from the "17" in your "handle".

I was 17 once! (7- years ago!) PM if you wish. POSSIBLY, I can make a few suggestions.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That should be 70 years ago!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Clay, you wrote:” The woofle dust concept for magicians existed, and was used in their patter, in the early 18th century (so nearly 300 years ago).”
Would you provide a reference/url for a source for this information? Otherwise it is just an opinion and not evidence based.
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I recall that Close-up magician Don Alan used the term Woofle Dust in many effects. Bob
Magical Moments
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
I am thinking that the term has been commonly used for a very long time. Most of us has spoke those words at least once.

Buy the way, I get mine for free and for a lifetime supply... Smile
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Should I be performing at a Bar Mitzvah I call it "Magic Mitzvah Dust," available at any Kosher magic shop. Also I mention you can buy it at non-Jewish magic shops but they have a different name for it. They call it "Holy Good Deed Powder."

Well, maybe you had to be there. Ethnic humor is kind of dead I guess.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Like all the fun comments! Still looking for actual written sources. The hunt continues.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Try asking him directly about his finding. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NEKKODDD
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of NEKKODDD
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2021, MrPrestoHypno wrote:
Like all the fun comments! Still looking for actual written sources. The hunt continues.

Good luck on the search, it will be interesting to see
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
852 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2019, Clay Shevlin wrote:
The woofle dust concept for magicians existed, and was used in their patter, in the early 18th century (so nearly 300 years ago).

I have seen it mentioned in a book from the 1600’s. The only problem is - I can’t remember what book that was. But I do know is available on PDF because I red it in my computer. So at least 2 more clues available...
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Ah, yess...who can forget Foudini the Rabbit that cane to America thinking the streets were made of gold and the Wonderful Woffle Dust of Wang that helped him to get there?
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
The idea of using magic powder to distract attention from a sleight or move has been around for centuries. It was first described c. 1584 by Prevost used to ditch the thread in the Gypsy Thread effect. The term Woofle Dust first appears in Lesson 2 of the original Tarbell Course c. 1927 and it has been used ever since.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Appreciate that info Frank!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1047 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
As a check, I did searches on askalexander.org in the various spellings (Woofle, wuffle, whoofle), and the earliest mention that came up was Tarbell course as cited. So seems that is the earliest PUBLISHED use of the term. Interestingly, that wasn't the only popular term used for magic dust. For example, in the 1940s magic periodicals "goofer dust" gave "woofle dust" a real challenge.

The "Provost on Toulouse" book was published the same year as Reginald Scott's The Discoverie of Witchcraft so it doesn't get any older than that in published trick history (there were hand written books, scrolls and parchments before that but those were not widely distributed). So the concept is as old as modern published magic.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2078 Posts

Profile of jlevey
When I began my magic “career” I was age 13.
It was circa 1970 and the main truck in my shows at kids’ parties was Foudini. Bought from Tannen’s, it was a variation on the sucker dye box.
It was made out of metal rectangular in shape with two door flaps at either end it was designed to represent a jail cell.
Foudini, the entrepreneurial white rabbit from China came to America to make his fortune after learning that the e streets of America were paved with gold.
This was the first phase of the story I told —a story that was included in Tannen’s script

By now you might be asking… Why do I even mention this trick on this thread about Woofle dust?

Simply because it was in this script that, in order to make the magic happen, I was instructed, as the magician, to “…sprinkle the invisible wonderful woffle dust of wang!” :0

And as you might guess.. it worked like a charm! Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!