The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Tunnel of Darkness Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
So I just recently got a Tunnel of Darkeness and it works pretty much as I expected it to... that's cool.
But I see this video online where the sequence is different than the instructions and shown prior to the effect instead of after it.
I think I see what is going on but I am not sure frankly... is there some handling of this out there that people know about? I mean is there a description or discussion of this handling?

I think it is much cleaner and more impressive as shown in the video...

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdbTRUsjm4
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Yes I have info about that it cannot be done. It has to do with camera angle deception and hands covering the tube at a critical time. If it could really be done like that it would be in fact real magic. Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Yes...sadly I see that. I was thinking there was some very well done stuff going on there more than out right cheating... but alas cheating it is.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Was done in fun I believe to make us all go WHAT!!!!!!!!!
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I think it is possible, if you perform the trick to only one person, to first give the tunnel for examination to the spectator and gives back to you, then give the dice with the cage and ask the spectator to inspect them and assemble them. At this moment you can load the tunnel discreetly.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
That's what I was hoping was going on Stereo.
I was hoping that there was some really slick palming and loading.
Someone should make a more true to life video for your blog.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Once you add a little sleight of hand to any Tenyo trick, you can do a lot of different things not in the instructions. Loading the "Tunnel of Darkness" is simple business for anyone who has any sleight-of-hand ability, as is stealing out the small red cube from the black tube at the end of "Confined Cubes."

Adding some sleight of hand often makes the tricks better, and the guys in the creative division at Tenyo are well aware of it. Many of them have sleight-of-hand versions of their tricks (or the other guys' tricks) that are quite different than what was released.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
To be precise this is how I would do : Show the material with both hands empty, the gimmicked cage is ready on your knees. Give the tunnel to examine with your right hand and at this moment quickly take the cage on you knees with the left hand, natural way, without looking at what you do but continuing to look at what the spectator actually do. Now, ask to get back the tunnel in your right hand and at this moment pass the tunnel in your left hand to liberate your right hand wich now take the dice and the keychain to give the viewer for inspection. Now you have in left hand the tunnel and the gimmicked cage and you can load it by causing the movement with your right hand that reaches your left hand as if you get back the tunnel to simply put it on the table. Now on the table you have the tunnel wich is loaded and you can finish your routine.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Stereo: that's a good way, but it's the obvious way. Think of something where you wouldn't have to have anything in your lap or your hand! Smile
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
540 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 21:09, Richard Kaufman wrote:

Adding some sleight of hand often makes the tricks better, and the guys in the creative division at Tenyo are well aware of it. Many of them have sleight-of-hand versions of their tricks (or the other guys' tricks) that are quite different than what was released.

Mr. Kaufman

Will we be lucky enough to have some of these handlings revealed in your book?
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
When I was first aware of Tunnel of Darkness many years ago I guessed it worked exactly how it does. I never saw a performance, I only read a description.

I recently saw the misleading YouTube video and that was the one and only performance I had ever seen. I was excited because suddenly I thought it was done in a different way. That there was some crazy Tenyo contraption at work. I thought it may have been slieght of hand but being Tenyo I thought it was more likely some sort of magnetic shell or something... something flipping down from the interior of the tunnel and covering the dice or whatever.

So to find out it was NIETHER of those but simply (more or less) a camera trick.... well I was disappointed for sure.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Too bad you don't see my alert on the blog on the post about Tunnel of Darkness. I had added this alert at the time because I received messages from people disappointed like you.
There was a discussion about it on the forum in another post : http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30
Maybe this one is not very fair, but the large majority of Cormatche's Videos are very good and done without camera trick but with lot of skill. So enjoy.
Hope you had all the answers to your questions.
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Roberto clearly said several times he used a camera angle to perform this 'version' of TOD. There was an obsolete discussion about it in the link Stereo provided. Roberto always performs a trick so it is very convincing on Youtube, and that is perfectly fine, I would do the same. There is no question about fair/unfair because all that Roberto did was make a presentation as good (and misleading! Smile ) as possible, he wasn't trying to sell the trick!

Teevtee, you have no reason to be dissapointed Smile You have one of the best Tenyo's in your collection. It works well and is baffling even when you do it as the manual sais, and Stereo's/Davy's advice makes it even better Smile Add that to Richard's sleight-of-hand advice and you have one super trick Smile
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Stereo:

I certainly appreciate your blog. There is no reason to worry about it. I was of course unaware of any prior discussion or notices about the misleading video but the video is not why I purchased Tunnel of Darkness regardless.

Killertweety... I agree it is a fun effect, just not quite as cool as the video!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I am gald that Roberto err's on the side of preserving the integrity of the method/secret in his videos. There is too much sloppy exposure (much of it unintentional)from bad performances on the web. As David points out he is not producing demo videos but trying to showcase the beauty of the effect. Sorry you were disappointed teevee but at the end of the day at least you were not convinced to buy a bad trick.

Cheers,

John
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Sure John.... I'm not upset about purchasing TOD at all...

But I do think there is a difference between producing a nice video that shows a very good performance and producing a video that shows something that could not happen live, at least not as presented.
Clearly Roberto has every right to make the video however he sees fit... I am not so much questioning that. I'm simply saying that after seeing the video and realizing that TOD coudl nto be performed as he shows it I was abit let down. Not upset, not angry at Roberto... just a teeny bit dsappointed.

Obviously any effect can be made to look like something it is not on video... one of the things I like abotu Tenyo is tht they tend to be very clever and don't need edits and camera tricks to make something better than it really is... for the most part they are good enough as is.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Whoever made the video is not selling the product--the video is an artistic work, not a commercial. Therefore there are no restrictions, other than those you artificially impose, on the video.

A commercial must show what really happens because that's the law. An artistic work does not because ... it's an interpretation.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
No worries teevee, I understand your point. Now that you have it perhaps we can look forward to a new video sometime Smile

Always thought I would like to take a crack at some videos, however I think I am too lazy!

John
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Richard: I have never suggested that the author of the video was obligated to make it realistic or accurate. I understand that he is not selling it. Nonetheless I still have the right to feel a bit let down, right?

It's not a condemnation if the author or the effect, just an accurate description of how I felt.

And you are correct John.aking some new videos might be a fun endeavor.