The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Money Splash--Does It Work for You? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Which of you has actually taken the time to perform Money Splash. I'm having a devil of a time getting it to work properly. Have tried it with American coins, Japanese coins. No luck.

Anyone have any tips?
Killertweety
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium (-Europe)
1457 Posts

Profile of Killertweety
Tried it a few times, didn't work as it supposed to. Tried with USA and European coins ... none work perfect.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Glad I am not the only one. Same inconsistent luck with Canadian coins I am afraid.
Marlowe
View Profile
Regular user
MA
162 Posts

Profile of Marlowe
Mine has never worked properly, either. What a shame!
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Aha!

Two things going on here.

FIRST: I was using a d*mn counterfeit!

My first suspicion should be have been that it didn't work, but since others reported the same issue. That confused me.

I went to Stereo's blog and discovered that my black tube should have a pattern on the exterior and my cap should be purple. The tube I was using was smooth and the cap was dark blue. COUNTERFEIT.

SECOND: The instructions are incorrect. My first clue here came in watching the official Tenyo demonstration video on Stereo's blog. The demonstrator shakes the tube differently than the instructions indicate.

So, I went to my big box 'o Tenyo dupes and odd pieces and found a real Tenyo "Money Splash" prop.

Then, I tried moving my arm the way the Tenyo demonstrator did it. Still didn't work.

Then I studied the gimmick inside the tube (which slid easily and was round and smooth, unlike that of the counterfeit, which didn't want to slide at all and wasn't round). It occurred to me to try holding the box the opposite way it is described in the instructions, with my thumb NOT on the word "Tenyo," but on the side opposite.

It now works.
xl18
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of xl18
I was also confused by the instructions at first. I remember having a real difficult time trying to get it to work. I tried small shakes, big shakes, fast shakes, slow shakes, tilting the box this way and that way, but there was frustratingly still only one coin when I peaked in the box!
Anyway once I figured out that the box should be held the other way everything worked smoothly.
I actually find it a pretty fun trick to do especially if I can pull off the ending.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Will have to give that a try, thanks Richard.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Xl18, glad you figured out the problem as well! I have some new ideas on how to get that final load of 18 quarters in the tube that you'll find in the Tenyo book.