The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Card sword (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
Does anyone know if there are plans/descriptions on how to construct a card sword?

A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Kel
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
May 2013 Linking Ring has a Parade by Paul Osborne on re-threading one (new elastic). There should be enough info there to get you started.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
Thanks Michael, but I'm not a member at the moment Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do you have access to a sheet metal bender, soldering tools, precision cutting tools and obtaining brass. You will need to be a soldering expert. There are no planes available.
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
I don't want to make a metal sword, I want to adapt the idea into something else. So I guess I'm really after a guide I can buy to see how it works. Maybe I'll just have to buy the sword and reverse engineer
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
Prof. Hoffmann's "Modern Magic" pg 121 chapter 5 "The Card Sword" is a good start. If you do not have the book, you can find a number of free PDF downloads with a google search.

Nothing could be done until the first person went ahead and did it.

Good Luck
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 01:37, Kel says poof wrote:
I don't want to make a metal sword, I want to adapt the idea into something else. So I guess I'm really after a guide I can buy to see how it works. Maybe I'll just have to buy the sword and reverse engineer

In that case, there are four or five different modus operandi's which have been employed for use in different contraptions. It's probably better to approach this as a physics problem and figure-out what it will take to propel your object along a path then to have it stop.
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
Thanks Peter, I checked out the book but I think you're right Jay, I may have to put on my physics hat
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Make sure the gyroscope function is turned off or you might be stuck looking the wrong way.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
And for God's sake don't cross the streams!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Kel says poof
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Kel says poof
Too late!