The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Shot glass on hoop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Hello
Tried internet search but didn't find anything. How does one learn to spin a filled shot glass on a hoop or billiard rack?
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Mike Cavney performs this and that "Best hats juggle" youtube video had a guy doing it. I presume it is a "get it and try it" kind of thing ...
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Watch this video on 1:57. I guess you can make your own and PRACTICE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6m1oAwXJ-A
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-07 21:16, Lou Hilario wrote:

Very cool Lou, Thanks for sharing that performance.

Captain Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
"If ever a wiz there was" book by Keith Fields gives the best info on how
To make it. Charlie Fry show his prop... and does a good job with it. With Charlie Fry's prop the way it is made if you over spin it there is a high chance of
Spilling.

I believe that the person that did this type of an effect first and what I have found in print and pictures...
Is Paul Cinquevalli.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Does "If Ever a Wiz" have the hoop trick? I know it has the triangles, which I use all the time, but missed the hoop. If its there I'll have to dig it out. Never got the hoop and glass to work.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
The Chinese performer in the video from Delaware is my good friend Yang Xiao Di. An extremely uber-talented Chinese acrobat and a mentor of mine for many years. His performance of the traditional Chinese Happy Chef act was a beautiful thing to witness. Mouth stick bottle balancing, egg balancing and a closer that could not be topped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xoPCWW5Tms (does not include closer)

Mike H - what's up captain? Love your clip. Ray Grins found one of this guy when he was younger and thinner. Mad skills. I especially like the fact that when his act is over...the stage is empty. (Same is true of Xiao Di's happy chef act). Sign of a real working pro.
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
The hoop trick is not in "If Ever a Wiz There Was" just the triangle. I don't see why you can't take the same info of the triangle
And apply it to a hoop. I may be wrong but it is the same sciences for the hoop or triangle, you may have to try out different cups/glasses
To find the right one.

Best of luck
Chuck
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
My problem is that hoops, unlike triangles, are curved. This makes balancing the glass pretty much impossible.

I guess you could flatten part of the hoop or build it up so there is a flat area. But in the videos I've seen this doesn't seem to be the case... Unless they do it so the flattened part becomes invisible.

I'd love to hear from someone who does the hoop as to their method of keeping the glass on.

I do the triangles (I swing 2 of them like poi). I also have done a tray of glasses. But the hoop has eluded me so far.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
CDS
View Profile
Regular user
MI
109 Posts

Profile of CDS
I believe this trick with the hoop is in "The Magician's Handbook" by P. T. Selbit I want to say page 19 called The Whirling Hoop & Glass of Water.
And there is an earlier version of the triangle on a pool stick as well in this book.

Best of luck
Chuck
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Chuck, I think I love you!!

Cheers dude Smile
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Cincinnati, OH, USA
644 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Quote:
On 2013-06-06 14:13, CDS wrote:
I believe this trick with the hoop is in "The Magician's Handbook" by P. T. Selbit I want to say page 19 called The Whirling Hoop & Glass of Water.
And there is an earlier version of the triangle on a pool stick as well in this book.

Best of luck
Chuck

The Kindle version is only $2.99 so I DL'ed it. All he says is that the c-force keeps it in place. No mention of types and sizes of the hoops and glass. No tips on practicing or learning how. But if you want a history lesson of some old fashioned magic, this book is a good read.
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to http://www.pete-biro.com and go to favorite videos and see the best juggler doing the hoop and glass. He was Caveney's inspiration.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I agree Pete, definitely one of the best juggling performances I've ever seen.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
floatingcardtrick
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of floatingcardtrick
Quote:
On May 7, 2013, Lou Hilario wrote:

What a great act for all the children Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Just saw Mike Caveney’s “juggling coffee” routine and started researching more about glass on ring. Of course I came to the Café and found this.

Big question is..where can you get a hoop/band for this? Searching, it seems like barrels hoops are closet thing I can find.

Does anyone make these rings? Or what can be used for them? (I’ve seen wooden rings used to make wreaths, but they seem too narrow..only 1/2 inch wide).

Any help?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
blaykp
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of blaykp
Quote:
On May 8, 2022, imgic wrote:
Just saw Mike Caveney’s “juggling coffee” routine and started researching more about glass on ring. Of course I came to the Café and found this.

Big question is..where can you get a hoop/band for this? Searching, it seems like barrels hoops are closet thing I can find.

Does anyone make these rings? Or what can be used for them? (I’ve seen wooden rings used to make wreaths, but they seem too narrow..only 1/2 inch wide).

Any help?

Try searching for wooden drum frames. I haven’t started this project myself but have been looking into it. This is what I plan to use for my hoop.
FredNorthupJr
View Profile
New user
Seattle
1 Post

Profile of FredNorthupJr
Quote:
On May 31, 2013, Roslyn wrote:
My problem is that hoops, unlike triangles, are curved. This makes balancing the glass pretty much impossible.

I guess you could flatten part of the hoop or build it up so there is a flat area. But in the videos I've seen this doesn't seem to be the case... Unless they do it so the flattened part becomes invisible.

I'd love to hear from someone who does the hoop as to their method of keeping the glass on.

If you watch Mike performance on his YouTube page, at 1:08 you can pause it and see he fashioned a little half-circle piece that sits inside the circle and makes a flat area where he places the coffee cup. Since the glass is clear, it might have a slight 1/2 inch cup-holder ring on it (like a Petri dish) but I am not sure. But there is definitely a spot where he places the cup. So just make that then practice for 1000 hours and you will be set!