The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: "Silver Colour" Johnson Cups & Balls??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Hello,

Question:
Where can I find a "Silver Colour" (but made of brass and nickel plated) set of Johnson Products Cups & Balls????

They show only the "Silver Colour" (made of brass and nickel plated) Johnson cups on the http://www.ammarmagic.com site. When I ordered, they emailed me and said that they only offer the gold colour (made of brass) set. All the other online stores ONLY sell the gold colour.

The Johnson set in the Silver Colour is my first choice.

Jes Magic in nickel "Silver Colour" is my second choice.

I've already seen Riser's "how to choose cups & balls" webpage but didn't see anything I liked in the "Silver Colour" other than the 2 mentioned above. I like the Johnson's/Paul Fox/Gazzo styled cups in silver colour.

The Van Dokkum standard cups are out of my budget (my "Dream On" choice).

I am only looking for a quality "Silver Colour" standard set of cups & balls within the $200 USD-$270 USD price range.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
I am not aware of the Johnson cups being available in any finish other than the brass.

If they are, I hope someone will let us know.

Bill
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
News to me...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
I think what you are seeing on Ammarmagic.com is color reduction as a result of camera flash. The brass color is washed out on the reflective surfaces. If you look at the deep sides of the cup you will see a darker brass lustre.

Bad pictures.

No silver cups (unless you buy the Sherwood cups or Gazzo cups at magicpitch.com)...

Good hunting!

ajp
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Thanks, Sleightly!

I think you are most probably right there! That's an explanation that I can accept. A very detailed and observant one at that.

Oh well...

I guess I'll wait a lot longer and save for the Van Dokkums, then.

I just remembered that on the Michael Ammar Complete Cups & Balls Vol 2 cover he purposely shows the cups to be silver in colour (Vol 1 has the gold colour cups on the cover). I will have to revisit those 2 videos again and see if the performances use ONLY the gold coloured cups or if there are special silver Colour cups.

Thanks everyone!
ullig
View Profile
New user
Germany
39 Posts

Profile of ullig
Apprentice:
Have a look at
http://www.jedinat.com
They have cups from the Austrian manufacturer Seidl.
Seidl cups are used by many German professional performers (i.e. Alexander de Cova, Helge Thun from the Flicking Fingers).
I personally don't like the form but they are known as "working horses"

Best regards,

Ulli

Click here to view attached image.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Having a Johnson cup nickel or silver plated costs me about 25 euro a cup. If you make some inquiries at metalworkers, I guess you could find a deal that fits your budget, assuming that you buy a Johnson-set of $200.
If you manage to buy a second hand set at eBay it's even more interesting.
Say you get a set for $150, plus an estimated plating job of $75...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Hmmmm. Dan, that's a great idea!!

I never thought of getting them plated myself!!

What are the differences between getting them silver plated versus nickel plated? More or less polishing or shining, or more resistence to scratching?

Any tips on knowing who does a better job or what to look for in a nickel plating or silver plating Job?

And Ullig, I will check out those silver cups. What don't you like about them? Too plain looking??

Thank you.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi,

If the cups are going to be used, I would suggest that you get them nickel-plated. Nickel is a harder material and will withstand the rigors of the work environment.

Silver-plated will look beautiful, but since the silver is a soft metal, it will more than likely scratch.

As for tarnishing, the nickel will not and the silver will.

Finally, chrome-plating is not suggested for a working prop. It too is a softer metal. It also has a tendancy to chip.

Enjoy your cups, in whatever form you choose.

Regards,

Paul Green
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Thank you Paul! Just the information I was looking for.

If I need to get cups plated, I will definitely get them nickel plated, as I will be using them and I won't have to worry about tarnish.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Apprentice: Where do you live? Do you already have the cups?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Hi Pete,

No, I don't have the cups yet. Although I am really leaning towards saving for the Von Dokkums.

I've PM'ed you.

Thanks!