The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Avoiding Rabbit Cruelty (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-11-26 12:16, kenscott wrote:
Yes and this works for me KILLER!. First I had the same concern.

Everyone in my area produces there bunny at the end of the show. Well I decided I wanted to be different in produce at the bigginning of my show. That way the bunny is only in there for a very short time.

I remember seeing the Doug Henning show "Merlin," Merlin (as an old man) steps out on stage and announces that he's a wizard. But how to prove it to a modern audience? Ah, something he's heard that "modern" wizards do. And with that, Merlin pulled off his pointed hat, reached into it and pulled out a rabbit! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
K-Max
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
49 Posts

Profile of K-Max
I agree with the folks who have posted about rabbits liking small confined spaces. Without fail every rabbit I have ever had has sought out every small nook and cranny in my house and would sit there for most of the day. You have to understand that rabbits are prey animals, and their instinct is for defense. If they are protected on all sides except for a small opening in the front they feel safe and secure.

A few points though. Rabbits are not normally accustomed to being off the ground so be sure and give them lots of time to get used to it before you are picking them up and letting young children hold them. Also, give them plenty of support (I am completely against picking them up by their ears or by the scruff of their neck). Finally, if you do keep a rabbit in a small space for any amount of time make sure they get special treatment afterwords. Even if it is just a couple of raisins and a chance to sit on the couch with you a rabbit will appreciate that he has been given a reward.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
There is quite a lot of nonsense spoken about rabbits throughout the magic world.

If you speak to a biologist or have studied it yourself, you will know that:

* Rabbits live outdoors - in all weathers
* Rabbits live in burrows

These facts mean that:

* It's Ok to keep a rabbit in a hutch outdoors
* It's OK to load your rabbit before your show starts and reveal him or her at the end. Inside, the prop may well be dark and cramped but so is a burrow - and they stay in burrows for hours! Smile

I'm not saying be beastly or not care for your rabbit but just remember it's a rabbit - not a human. Natural animals have entirely different requirements to humans. Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Plenty has to do with the production method,
construction, and Environment. I have seen some rabbits way too large for the production prop so air was a premium. Add in outdoor and HOT days.

I agree with JamesFortune on all counts but we still need to emulate the dark cool ventilated burrow to some extent. Extra caution should be taken on hot days.

BTW, I produce my rabbit near the front end of the show so as you can see from many of the postings this is somewhat of a myth that the bunny is usually a show closer.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!