The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Just renewed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
After a year long lapse in membership due to a job loss, I recently bit the bullet and renewed my membership in the IBM. Although I cannot afford the conventions, and the closest Ring is more than 2 hours away, I decided it was worthwhile to get back in.

I look forward to once again receiving the Linking Ring, and taking advantage of all the benefits I can.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Welcome back, Mike! We hope things are improving for you.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Slowly but surely, Skip!

My current "mission" is to build a full-length stage show that I can use to help various organizations raise money for their causes (and, of course, make a little myself). I have currently inventoried what I have now (several stage effects--probably 30 minutes worth or so), but no illusions. Still smarting from the job loss and resultant drastic decrease in income.

The concept is that I would work on a 70%/30% split of the box office. I already have one organization lined up...the Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention of Alcona County. I have appeared for free in their annual Family Fun Night variety show every year.

I thought it would be ideal to help local community theatres raise funds...they provide the venue, sound, lights, etc...I provide the show and we do the split.

My problem is trying to get my hands on some nice illusions that I can put into the show to give it a "bigger" feel.

With funds being virtually non-existent, I may have to do a fundraiser myself! LOL.

What would be ideal is a retiring magician that would like to donate some of his/her props to a good cause...where they will be properly used and cared for. Short of that, a source of a few used illusions that can be picked up very inexpensively.

Doe any of you, my fellow magi, have any ideas or leads where I might do this?

I appreciate any thoughts!...including whether my idea is a stupid one or not!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Michael~~~
What you are offering/selling is ENTERTAINMENT. Entertainment does not 'come' by the yard or by the pound! Entertainment is measured by smiles, chuckles giggles and laughs. Entertainment is measured by the OOOOHS and the AHHHS!

For years I did phone promotion shows. I did my own phoning. I mostly worked on a flat fee of $1000. I did a 60 minute show.

The show was family fun oriented. We always started at 7:00 PM and finished at 8:00 PM. (School kids need their sleep. Many parents have favorite TV shows.

The show was my 45 minute school assembly program with 15 minutes of added material. The 'big' props included a Mutilated Parasol, a silk production from a Merv Taylor Tambourine and sometimes an arm chopper (Disecto).

The school show carries in a fibre case 13" x 20" x 8", and weighs a little over 20 lbs. The other props noted above carried in a separate case, which also carried a few back up props and replaceables like balloon and paper hats.

The school show prop set up: 4 minutes. The extra 15 minute props (silk load) 5 minutes. Tear down and packing about the same.

I carried a couple waiter tray stands, and a Jet Set backdrop. 5 minutes to set the Jet Set, if it was needed.

I also carried, to use only when necessary: a half dozen 150 watt par lamps with clamps to go on chairs or ?

Most shows that work on percentage do a 60/40 split. I carried a pitch package (booklet of kid tricks, or balloon animal package.
When I pitched Svengali Decks the mark up we figured had to be 8 x the cost. (.25 cost == 2.00 sale.

I offered the committee if they handled the sales of pitch items. Usually 10%. Another perk for them was they could sell pop corn and keep it all.

The pitch or inside money should "move the show". (The pitch income should handle motels, meals, mileage. Show fee goes in bank.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks for the kind words of advice, Dick. I appreciate your wisdom and experience.

The show that I currently have scripted (approximately half of the eventual show) would probably carry in the equivalent of a carry-on bag. I love the "packs small plays big" philosophy...no trailers, ATA cases, etc.

I am looking to find some things that will play big on stage, plus allow my style as a story-teller to shine.

I will be using the Snowstorm, Silk Fountain, Floating Rose, perhaps the dancing hanky. I plan to open the show with a shadow box. I have a few audience participation style effects (especially for kids) such as Robert Baxt's mouthcoil routine, Jef Eaton's Kandu Komedy Karton, and a few others.

Again...I appreciate your words of wisdom!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
552 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Congrats on renewing. You were lucky to do it just before the membership dues increased.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thanks Ba Ba Booey! The only problem is, I can't log on to the dang website...doesn't recognize my membership number. Sindie is working on it, but so far no luck.
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
552 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
It'll eventually work out. Sometimes it takes time and you've got to be patient.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You're not the only one goingthrough this right now, Mike. Sindie, Sammy Smith and the tech crew areworking hard to resolve it for everyone. Sorry!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org