The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Levitation Help. Transforming a Super X (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Hi All

I'm looking to transform a Super X into a nice levitation. However without knowing the name of the 'bit' I require I'm struggling. I want to replace the upright pole with an electronic arm that expands and contracts to make the subject raise and lower. What is it I need?!

Many thanks

Mark
Mark Daniel
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Linear actuator? Maybe??? Of course you will have to take into consideration the torque. An electric bottle jack was the first thing that popped into my mind...that will also have issues that need to be addressed.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
888 Posts

Profile of glowball
I had thought of doing the same thing and using an actuator arm from an old satellite dish. They should be very cheap. At one point in time about 10 years ago people were giving used ones away.

I believe they are DC powered so you could use a 12V? battery. The biggest issue will be safety and strength. Welding the bottom part to the base and welding the end of the actuator to the top part might work (if the welding heat doesn't destroy something), but if it ever goes bad you would have to de-weld it and find another actuator arm and weld it in.

They are very robust so for this use they might last a life time. For safety sake you could use something other than a human to levitate. Perhaps a giant "sauage", perhaps a robot, perhaps a giant magic wand, perhaps phoney bar bells, etc.

Good luck.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Thanks both of you. Steve That's the name I'd heard in the past, I couldn't recall it! Well after a good search I only seem to be fetching up aluminium ones. Hmmm...

Thanks

Mark
Mark Daniel
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
888 Posts

Profile of glowball
Also try to find a motor that is as quiet as possible.

Another possibility would be to construct a simple hydraulic lift using an unseen assistant. Use a hidden hydraulic hose to connect two cyclinders (one small but tall the other wide but short). Basic physics says the a small diameter cylinder with less force and greater distance can lift a larger cylinder a shorter distance. No motor necessary so potential to be extremely quiet. Note that "small" and "wide" are relative terms (perhaps a one inch diameter cyclinder lifting a 3 inch diameter cylinder). The "wide" cylinder would be vertical and attached to the main support. Perhaps a quiet pump instead of an unseen assistant.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2013-04-22 21:07, glowball wrote:
I had thought of doing the same thing and using an actuator arm from an old satellite dish. They should be very cheap. At one point in time about 10 years ago people were giving used ones away.

I believe they are DC powered so you could use a 12V? battery. The biggest issue will be safety and strength. Welding the bottom part to the base and welding the end of the actuator to the top part might work (if the welding heat doesn't destroy something), but if it ever goes bad you would have to de-weld it and find another actuator arm and weld it in.

They are very robust so for this use they might last a life time. For safety sake you could use something other than a human to levitate. Perhaps a giant "sauage", perhaps a robot, perhaps a giant magic wand, perhaps phoney bar bells, etc.
Good luck.

I've built several using the actuators. They work great. Real quiet. They are just a little slow on the rise but look very natural if that makes sence.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
You will need the type of actuator from the small access type vans that lift folks in wheelchairs up/down. These run off 12 volts are noiseless and very strong, I believe the weight limit is over 800 pounds. New these are around $450.00, you can find them used occasionally around $200.

Chuck Caputo
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
888 Posts

Profile of glowball
To Eldon:
Did you weld the satellite acturator both top and bottom?
What is the maximum weight you levitated with it?

Thanks.