The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Is there much point in joining IBM in UK? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Pog
Hi,

I'm in the UK. Is there much benefit in joining the IBM if I don't live in the US?
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
British Ring 25 is the largest Ring in the I.B.M. With around 1,000 members. The UK Ring hosts their own annual convention in September and past Ring President John Pye of Clitheroe is the current International President. The Ring also has its own magazine, The Budget, as a companion to The Linking Ring. They just hosted their annual formal Past Presidents Dinner this weekend, I believe. The British Ring is very active and prestigious. Beyond that, the choice is yours.

http://www.britishring.org.uk/
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Thanks for the quick repsonse, Skip. I didn't realise the IBM was so big in the UK. All I hear of in the UK is the MAgic Circle. Are they in any way comparable? Obviously the MC is hard to join ...
'One of the safest ways to make a good performance is to have tricks which work so easily, that mechanics can be forgotten and every attention devoted to presentation' - Corinda
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I don't know how comparable they are. My understanding is that the two are mutually beneficial and supportive; as with any social and professional network. In fact, all of the I.B.M./U.K. members that I'm friends with are also Magic Circle members. With the help of my friends, I plan to apply for M.C. membership on my next visit to Great Britain.

From talking with my U.K. friends and peers, I believe that the Magic Circle is only a bit more difficult to join than the I.B.M.. In fact, networking with members of the I.B.M./U.K. may give you a step up in joining the M.C. by introducing you to potential M.C. sponsors. From there, the interview/audition process insures that the M.C. candidates maintain a certain level of magic competence. The M.C. membership process doesn't appear much different from our own prestigious Academy of the Magical Arts at the Magic Castle.

I strongly believe in and support the social and professional networking opportunities provided by our more prestigious magic organizations. The International Brotherhood of Magicians, Society of American Magicians, Academy of Magical Arts, Fellowship of Christian Magicians International, Canadian Association of Magicians, KIDabra International, and the Magic Circle (to name the top few) all offer unique opportunities at different levels for all devotees to magic.

Supporting them supports us all and conserves our art. As with any network, the more you give - the more you benefit.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

The Amazing Pog
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Thanks for your quick response and good information. I will certainly look more into it; I think we could all benefit form more community in one way or another.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
My pleasure, Pog. If you need a few good I.B.M. or M.C. references, let me know.