The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workshop :: Edison's Spirit Communicator (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Just out of the workshop - I put together something that has fascinated me for years. I read along time ago the T. Edison was tinkering with a machine that could communicate with the dead.

Well, I couldn't resist...this is totally electronic with a two channel key fob remote...the vioce message can be changed anytime..

Happy Haunting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GglSkyKfNOE

Chuck Caputo
Cardstuntman
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Cardstuntman
That is pretty darn cool , Chuck. Love the light on the front. Very cool effect.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Thanks man. Edison may be proud...maybe not...
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
A very fun steampunk device.

Edison's device was far simpler: A telegraph key with a very close spark gap, the idea being that the spirit could use ectoplasm to close the circuit and make the key "click."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yeah, the plasma light makes it. I wonder how it would look if it was sound-activated and reacted to the voice from beyond.
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of silking
As usually, you have done another great piece !!

DeFalco
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Thanks for all the great comments...it was a blast building it. One of these days I am going to put together a spooky parlor show and just have some fun scaring the 'yell' outta people!!!!
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5180 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Chuck, this is one of your coolest looking contraptions yet. I'm sure there will be those who are more knowledgeable than I who can pick apart the accuracy of the machinery, but I thought it was an awesome blend of antiquity and steam punk that would make it very interesting to a lay audience.

But...I wasn't fond of the voice. Ruined it for me. If the voice was a more distant whisper that was struggling to be heard...it would have boosted the creep factor up a dozen notches. You made a mysterious device, so I think you need a mysterious voice...
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Good point, the recording module in the unit can be re - recorded with any voice you wish with the push of a button. I opted to perform more of a comedy type routine but for a more serious performance I would have a static type overlay with short whisper type responses - similar to what we now know as 'white noise' or what you would hear through 'Frank's Box', etc. This static voice would have to be done correctly - you do not want this to sound like 'Snoopy' talking on the peanuts cartoons.

I rewired the voice module to a larger speaker so whatever voice or noise is recorded it can be heard fairly well.

Currently I am working on a table top version of the famed German 'Bell'...this will be a levitating anti - gravitational device which will float and appear to have the property of time travel...items placed in the clear receptacles will change places when activated.

As mentioned I only work on my ideas in my spare time so it may be awhile before this is completed, I will post when completed.

Keep the magic going!

Chuck C.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Chuck,
GREAT JOB MAN!! You really outdid yourself on this one!
The overall look and design is top notch. Do you plan to make these for the folks??
It is always fun to peak into the Café and see what you are up to.
Keep up the great work and ideas.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Thanks man, Yes I will be building a few of these in the next few months. This one is for sale. Any interested parties can pm me.

Chuck